Boston Herald Has Good Trolley Karma

October 6, 2015

The feisty local tabloid has two MBTA-related stories pretty much to itself today.

First, Kimberly Atkins’ column on an advertising rumpus that’s shadowed the T for two years now.

T ad issue may merit court’s consideration

Free-speech dispute on Supreme’s radar

WASHINGTON — A free-speech dispute over political ads in MBTA buses, trains and stations is likely headed for the U.S. Supreme Court and could have far-reaching effects on Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 2.35.04 PMpaid messages on public property.

The case stems from 2013, when the MBTA agreed to post paid ads from pro-Palestinian group Committee for Peace in Israel and Palestine that read: “4.7 million Palestinians are classified by the U.N. as refugees.” But the T then rejected the American Freedom Defense Initiative’s ad, submitted in response, which read: “In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad.”


So far, as Atkins reports, “[t]wo federal courts had backed the MBTA’s decision to reject the AFDI ad, under its policy barring ‘disparaging’ or ‘demeaning’ messages.”

Prior to those two decisions, the MBTA’s batting average in ad dustups was well below the Mendoza Line, as the hardreading staff noted two years ago. And Atkins also writes that “[i]n New York and Philadelphia, by contrast, courts have ordered transit agencies to run paid ads they had rejected, including one that claimed Muslims believe ‘killing Jews is worship.'”

So who knows if it even gets to the Supremes, and who knows how they’ll lean.

But we’re guessing the MBTA loses this one too.

Elsewhere in today’s Herald, there’s this news from the T’s Ghost of Winter Past.

Scott bows out of bid for NTSB post

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 2.20.08 PM

President Obama has withdrawn his nomination of former MBTA chief Beverly Scott to the National Transportation Safety Board, abruptly ending her controversial bid to the $155,000-a-year post, the Herald has learned.

Obama officially rescinded her nomination yesterday, according to a White House document viewed by the Herald. A White House spokesman said last night Scott requested that her nomination be withdrawn “due to personal reasons related to her family.”

Efforts to reach Scott were unsuccessful.


That’s a surprise, eh?

(To be fair graf goes here)

To be fair, today’s Boston Globe does have a squib (via the State House News Service) about Scott, although it tells a slightly different story.


Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 2.24.30 PM


Huh. Maybe we need Scott herself to come forward as the tiebreaker.

Yeah – that’s coming just like a Riverside train.

What Can the Herald Do for Brown? (Devalue Patrick Edition)

October 5, 2015

Why anyone would pay the slightest bit of attention to pill-pushing has-been Scott Brown is a mystery to the hardreading staff.

Why any newspaper would put him on its front page is an even bigger one.

But then, we’re talking about the Boston Herald here.


Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.02.05 PM


The flirty local tabloid has long carried a torch for the Accidental Senator, and today’s piece just fans the flame.

Brown: Patrick ‘a joke’ as VP candidate

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.08.51 PM

Former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown mocked the idea of a Deval Patrick veep run on a Joe Biden presidential ticket as a “joke” yesterday, but was quick to add he’d love to see the Democrats go with it.

“Patrick is a joke, please,” Brown told the Herald yesterday after hosting a meet-and-greet for GOP contender Carly Fiorina at his home in Rye, N.H. “I hope that he runs, that way it will be a definite loss.”

The offhanded dismissal drew rebukes from Granite State and Bay State Democrats, who insisted the two-term Massachusetts governor would bolster their party’s slate.


Or charge $7500 a day for running.

The only thing more ridiculous than the Herald’s news judgment is Carly Fiorina’s political judgment, which just produced this knee-slapper on the Herald website.

Fiorina would consider Charlie Baker, Scott Brown for posts

Both Gov. Charlie Baker and former Sen. Scott Brown could have positions within Republican presidential contender Carly Fiorina’s White House administration, the former Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.12.43 PMHewlett-Packard CEO told Boston Herald Radio this morning.

“Certainly Charlie Baker is someone that should be considered,” Fiorina said on “Boston Herald Drive” this morning. “I am looking for people who are not afraid to go in and actually challenge the status quo.”

Fiorina added that Brown would also be on her “long list” of potential hires. Brown and his wife, Gail Huff, hosted an event for Fiorina yesterday at his home in Rye, N.H.


Her “long list,” eh?

Hey, Scott ‘n’ Gail: That’s Carly’s bread-and-butter letter for your hospitality. Which is to say, just a formality. Don’t get too excited.

New Boston Globe Saturday Design Is WSJr

October 3, 2015

The Boston Globe unveiled a new look this morning, one that appears very much like a knockoff of the Weekend Wall Street Journal. (Sorry, no WSJ e-paper, so you’ll have to spring for one yourself, or – god forbid – take our word for it.)

Brave New Globe, Page One:


Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 2.08.09 PM


The paper we received had more of a gray banner, but then again the whole page was kind of washed out compared to the e-paper. Regardless, we were happy to see this helpful note from Globe Editor Brian McGrory:


Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 2.09.13 PM


Okay . . .

So Metro, Nation, World, Business, and Opinion are all smushed together in the A section, which has a bouncier feel than the weekday paper.

The new Good Life section is pure Wall Street Journalism.


Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 2.21.26 PM


The hardreading staff tries never to pass judgment on first impressions.

But you’re certainly welcome to.

Herald Leaves Globe in Grand Prix Dust

September 30, 2015

Man, that’s some serious road rage over at the Boston Herald.

Yesterday’s front page (with Inexplicable Little Green Number!):


Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 12.11.31 PM


Today the revvy local tabloid is back at it.

Race critics cry foul on taxpayer funds saying . . .


Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 12.15.42 PMThe type of Grand Prix racing poised to roar through Boston’s streets next year has forced other host cities to inject taxpayer money to keep the motors running — in one case up to $4 million — spotlighting the challenges the Hub faces in avoiding a big public tab for the event, the Herald has found.

“These events do require capital, like any other type of sporting event or facility, and the onus is on the event promoter to be able to make the event work … from a promotional aspect, from an operational standpoint and also as a neighbor,” said Tim Frost, a Chicago-based motorsports business consultant.

“There is a really big economic event in there,” Frost said, and how they’ll avoid tapping public funds is “a very valid question.”


The Herald piece details some of the taxpayer liability in IndyCar cities San Jose, Baltimore, and St. Petersburg, Fla. The filmy local tabloid also provides this helpful video:



Crosstown, meanwhile, the Boston Globe is stuck in first gear, lamely running this piece on today’s C3.

Indy race riles condo owners

S. Boston group’s letter cites safety, noise issues


Residents of a condo complex on the South Boston Waterfront are challenging efforts to turn their street into part of Boston’s first IndyCar race.

In a 14-page letter sent to Mayor Martin J. Walsh on Tuesday, a lawyer representing the Seaport Lofts Condominium Association raised a number of legal issues with the race.

Among them: the allegation that the city improperly negotiated a contract with event organizer Grand Prix of Boston without going through the proper public review.

The condo residents’ goals include blocking the race, scheduled to take place during Labor Day weekend next year, or forcing it to be moved.


But nothing about the hosing taxpayers might get from the five-year event.

Both local dailies, however, are drafting on David Bernstein’s major takeout in Boston magazine three months ago.

Is the Grand Prix Taking Boston for a Ride?

Since Boston is already mired in a mud fight over whether or not the city can afford to host the 2024 Olympics, you might think Mayor Marty Walsh would be reluctant to take on any big, new, public sporting events. Not so. In mid-May, without public hearings, Walsh signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Grand Prix of Boston, clearing the way for the city to host five annual IndyCar road races on the South Boston waterfront, each Labor Day weekend from 2016 to 2020. Speaking by phone on Tuesday, Walsh compared the Grand Prix to the Tall Ships display, which returns to Boston in 2017. “The economic opportunity is something that made me interested in it,” he says.

It’s an interesting comparison, given Boston’s wild, sometimes comical, occasionally acrimonious disagreements about the economic value of the Tall Ships over the past 25 years. Those events either brought close to $1 billion to greater Boston, or were a net loss, or anywhere in between, depending on whom you ask.


Bernstein proceeds to chronicle, in eye-popping detail, the financial burdens the Grand Prix has imposed on other IndyCar cities. If it’s not the definitive piece on this topic, it’ll do until something better comes along.

Take a victory lap, David.

Red Sox Don’t Appreciate Boston Herald Readers

September 20, 2015

As the Carmine Hose continue their pitched battle with Tampa Bay for fourth place in the American League East, the team has launched Fan Appreciation Week for the season’s final seven games.

(Fan Appreciation, of course, means We Appreciate Any Fannies We Can Put in Fenway.)

So the Red Sox ran this ad in today’s Boston Globe:


Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 12.12.40 PM


First off, 1 final homestand? Is David Ortiz retiring? Or going elsewhere? Cause he sure doesn’t sound like it in this Peter Abraham wrap of yesterday’s dramatic win over the Blue Jays.

At 39, Ortiz is watching these final weeks of the season like a scout, hoping to see players who can form the core of a contending team before he retires.


Is the team trying to tell Ortiz something with this ad?

Regardless, the season’s final week, for those of you keeping score at home.


Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 12.24.56 PM


That’s a lot of appreciating, eh?

Then again, they probably don’t appreciate it at the Boston Herald, which once again struck out in the advertising department.

Bobblehead Fever Grips Hub!

Just not at the thirsty local tabloid.

Boston Papers Day Late on Donald Muslim Trumpus

September 19, 2015

From our To Know Trump desk

Amazingly, both Boston dailies missed the biggest Donald Trump news du jour yesterday.

First the story, via CNN.

Trump doesn’t challenge anti-Muslim questioner at event

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 1.59.48 AM

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump came under fire Friday morning for his handling of a question at a town hall about when the U.S. can “get rid” of Muslims, for failing to take issue with that premise and an assertion that President Barack Obama is Muslim.

Trump, who has shaken off several high-profile controversies that would have ended other presidential campaigns, faced an immediate backlash from advocacy groups, and members of his own party distanced themselves from the GOP front-runner. The incident recalls Trump’s 2011 quest to challenge Obama on where he was born, which ended with Obama releasing his long-form birth certificate. It also follows a debate performance Wednesday that garnered mixed reviews for the billionaire businessman.

“We have a problem in this country. It’s called Muslims,” an unidentified man who spoke at a question-and-answer town hall event in Rochester, New Hampshire asked the mogul at a rally Thursday night. “You know our current president is one. You know he’s not even an American.”

A seemingly bewildered Trump interrupted the man, chuckling, “We need this question. This is the first question.”


Clueless Boston Globe piece:


Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.04.46 AM


No mention of Trump’s Muslim moment.

Clueless Boston Herald piece:

Trump slams Carly Fiorina’s business track record

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.14.30 AM

ROCHESTER, N.H. — Republican front-runner Donald Trump predicted that Carly Fiorina’s track record at both Hewlett-Packard and Lucent Technologies will eventually derail her White House hopes, during a town hall meeting here last night — signaling with repeated broadsides that the surging former executive might now pose his biggest threat.

“With Carly, she did a terrible job at Lucent,” Trump said. “She did a terrible, terrible, terrible job at Hewlett-Packard. Terrible job. Stories 
have been written that are legendary. … People are 
going to have to read this. 
I just don’t see how she can get over that hurdle.

“And then everyone says she made a good speech,” Trump added of Fiorina’s performance at Wednesday night’s GOP showdown. “I don’t get it. I don’t get it. I don’t get it. But at some point, people are going to see, and I think it’s going to be a pretty big roadblock for her.”


He doesn’t get it? No kidding.

Then again, the Herald didn’t get it either. It also had no menton of Trump’s Muslim moment.

So . . . today – catch up?

The stately local broadsheet offers up this Associated Press piece.


Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.12.54 AM


Crosstown, the feisty local tabloid at least has its own piece by Chris Cassidy.

Hillary slams Trump for 
allowing ‘hateful’ rhetoric

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.19.28 AM

PLYMOUTH, N.H. — Hillary Clinton blasted billionaire real-estate mogul Donald Trump and tried to strike a more personal tone while rallying local Democrats last night, attempting to jump-start her stalled campaign as she is set to appear at 
the state’s party convention today.

Clinton slammed Trump yesterday for failing to refute a town-hall attendee’s assertion on Thursday night that President Obama is “not even an American” and that Muslims are “a problem in this country.”


(To be fair graf goes here)

To be fair, the Globe does have this piece up on its website.

Day late, dolor short.

Boston Herald Wants No More-a Healey on DraftKings

September 18, 2015

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey is living in a fantasy world.

She’s hot on the heels of the hot sports “contest” website DraftKings, which has spent $81 million on TV spots in the past six weeks, according to the Wall Street Journal. But that’s not keeping Healey from nickel-and-diming the DraftKingpins. She’s investigating whether the so-called fantasy sports site is actually a betting scheme in sheep’s clothing. And, as per usual, the Boston dailies see her quest quite differently.

The Boston Globe plays it straight with a C1 piece below the fold.


Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 12.13.36 PM


Crosstown at the Boston Herald, the story gets the expensive two-page spread.


Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 12.10.10 PM


The punting local tabloid looks at the AG’s overreach from the fantasy fan’s point of view Owen Boss’s report, the legal perspective in Bob McGovern’s column,  and a John Sapochetti piece representing the umbrage-industrial complex.

And we’re betting we haven’t heard the last of this from the Heraldniks either.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,367 other followers