Trial and Error: Boston Globe Catches Up

August 26, 2015

As the hard reading staff noted yesterday, the Boston dailies have reached a split decision on which high-profile local trials they’re covering: The Globe has been on the Owen Labrie alleged rape trial, while the Herald has been all over the Michelle Carter alleged text-message manslaughter case.

Today, though, the Globe doubled down with Laura Crimaldi’s piece on Metro Page One:

‘It’s now or never,’ text said to friend

Teen urged to kill himself, DA alleges

3cc9c5ca9b9c4bf68490a00c7971a88b-3cc9c5ca9b9c4bf68490a00c7971a88b-0-8702

NEW BEDFORD — She professed her love for him and promised to care for his grieving family when he was gone. All he had to do, she said, was take some Benadryl and let a combustion engine poison him with carbon monoxide. A life without pain awaited in heaven, she said.

“You have to just do it. . . . Tonight is the night. It’s now or never,” said one of the text messages Michelle Carter, then 17, is alleged to have sent to Conrad Henri Roy III in the days before his 2014 suicide.

The text message, among thousands the pair was said to have exchanged before Roy, 18, was found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in his truck in Fairhaven on July 13, 2014, has become public as Bristol County prosecutors fight a defense request to have the involuntary manslaughter case against Carter thrown out.

 

Not to get technical about it, but the Herald’s Jessica Heslam had that story yesterday.

Then again, at least the lately local broadsheet did something on the trial it’s been largely ignoring.

The same cannot be said for the fusty local tabloid. The Herald is still not covering the St. Paul’s School case in New Hampshire, which is odd since you’d think the class issue – fancy prep school, entitled tradition of the senior salute, etc. – would appeal to the Heraldniks.

No? Huh.


A Trial of Two Cities

August 25, 2015

From our One Town, Two Different Worlds desk

There are currently two high-profile trials in the Boston area involving young people, but the local dailies only see one. Different ones.

The Boston Herald has gone all in on the involuntary manslaughter trial of Michelle Carter, who prosecutors say hounded New Bedford teen Conrad Roy into committing suicide last year.

Saturday’s Page One:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.32.15 AM

 

 

And page 5:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.32.41 AM

 

Today’s Herald gives Jessica Heslam’s piece all of page 3.

‘We’re doing horrible’

Grandmother: No ‘moving on’ from tragic death

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.32.02 PM

Janice Roy stood in her Mattapoisett backyard looking out at beautiful Buzzards Bay as she 
recalled her oldest grandchild, who prosecutors say took his own life last summer under pressure from his girlfriend.

A few hours earlier yesterday, Janice had sat through a gut-wrenching hearing in New Bedford Juvenile Court, where the attorney for Michelle 
Carter — the Plainville teen charged with causing the death of her beloved grandson — argued to have the involuntary manslaughter charge against her thrown out.

In one of thousands of text message exchanges, Carter told 18-year-old Conrad Roy III that his family would “get over” his suicide and “move on.”

That couldn’t be further from the truth.

 

Crosstown, the Boston Globe has limited its coverage of the Michelle Carter trial to a B2 news brief today.

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.19.38 AM

 

On the other hand, the stately local broadsheet is all over the case of Owen Labrie, the prep-school graduate accused of raping a 15-year old girl last year. We count seven pieces on the trial in the past week, with this one on Metro Page One today.

Labrie said he had sex with girl, peers testify

N.H. prep school classmates recall night of alleged rape

CONCORD, N.H. — In often crude language, four current and former students at St. Paul’s School testified Monday that Owen Labrie told them he had sex with a 15-year-old ed789e33046541b9ba64600606788ffe-3917df13d7c9453ea550a242d1384656-0girl who accuses him of rape, undercutting claims by Labrie’s defense team that the two did not have intercourse.

Andrew Thomson, who was Labrie’s roommate at the elite Concord prep school, testified that Labrie told him on the night of the alleged attack in May 2014 that he had taken the teenager’s virginity.

“He seemed a little taken aback, but overall happy” after the encounter, said Thomson, now a student at Brown University. “He seemed to be in a good mood.”

 

Not so much anymore, though.

The feisty local tabloid, meanwhile, has had nothing about the Labrie trial in its print edition, and just this Associated Press report on the web.

The hardreading staff isn’t sure there’s some deeper meaning in the split decision by the papers; we just know – say it with us – it’s good to live in a two-daily town.


One Town, Two Different Killing Fields

August 14, 2015

Admittedly, the hardreading staff is late to Thursday’s coverage of the most recent Boston shooting spree. Even so, we couldn’t help but notice the difference in the local dailies.

Boston Herald Page One (via The Newseum’s Today’s Front Pages):

 

MA_BH

 

Boston Globe (bottom of) Page One:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 1.25.36 AM

 

The Herald reported all the gun violence on Page 7.

The Globe featured the Cambridge killing on B1, the Roxbury and Mattapan shootings on B3 in a separate story.

Your conclusions – if any – go here.


Target Sully’s Image (II)

August 11, 2015

As the hardreading staff noted yesterday, the crew at Sully’s ran a full-page ad in the Boston Herald accusing retail giant Target of ripping off the local t-shirt company’s trademark products. The open letter to Target began this way:

We are big fans. Your stores have everything anyone could need, all under one roof, and we were thrilled when we heard you’d opened a store next to Fenway Park. But when you recently launched your “Local Pride” line of GreenMonstah_SullysSnyder_side-by-side_largeBoston themed t-shirts, our fans took note. They told us that our trademark “Green Monstah” t-shirt, which we’ve sold for ten years, was now available at Target, but missing the Sully’s Brand logo. This was one of a dozen other t-shirts, all promoting “Boston Pride”, courtesy of a man named Todd Snyder. “Who?” we all asked. A Google search revealed that “Todd Snyder” is a brand incorporated by a man of the same name in NEW YORK CITY.

Outsourcing Boston Pride to NYC? The home of the Yankees? The Evil Empire?! Say it ain’t so, Target. Say it ain’t so.

 

We contacted the crew at Sully’s and the PR people at Target, and the latter got back to us first.

Hi [Hardreading Staff],

Sorry for the delay. Here’s what I can share.

We have a deep appreciation for design, including respecting the design rights of others. We are looking into this issue.

Best,
Erika [Winkels]

 

Meanwhile, the Boston Globe – which has been playing catch-up with the hardleading staff from the get-go – filed a web piece last night.

Local T-shirt seller takes out ad to criticize Target’s ‘Local Pride’ effort

The Boston-New York sports rivalry is so iconic that it often spills over into the business world — the sports business world, at least.

The owner of a North Shore T-shirt company is hoping to play on that rivalry by calling out Target in a full-page Boston Herald ad on Monday, criticizing the retailer for using a New York designer in its “Local Pride” initiative.

Sully’s Brand prints and sells T-shirts with local themes — sayings such as “Free Brady,” and “Believe in Boston” — and argues that Minneapolis-based Target should be using a local company like Sully’s to source its own Boston-themed wear instead of New York-based designer Todd Snyder. Both Target and Sully’s sell “Green Monstah” shirts.

 

But, so far anyway, only Sully’s claims to hold the Green Monstah trademark.

As for Sully’s crew, no word from them yet, although they did talk to the Herald today.

We’ll keep you posted.


Keith Richards Needs a Brain Transfusion

August 6, 2015

Today’s Boston Globe Names column features this quote o’ the day from Rolling Stone Keith Richards about the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper.

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 9.07.56 AM

 

Seriously? That from a man who foisted Their Satanic Majesties Request on an unsuspecting public?

Just to remind you:

 

 

Oy.


Globe and Herald Actually Agree on Something!

August 4, 2015

It’s not often that the stately local broadsheet and the feisty local tabloid find themselves in accord, but today is one such instance.

The Boston dailies have pretty much the same take on last night’s Voters First Forum at St. Anselm College in New Hampshire.

Boston Globe’s Matt Viser:

15083_kd_GOP_Forum_0004

[W]ith 14 candidates fighting for time during a two-hour debate, it became at times a rollicking, political version of speed dating, with each candidate trying to cram as many words as possible into their allotted time.

 

Boston Herald’s Kimberly Atkins:

For GOP voters facing a crowd of eager presidential suitors, last night’s Voters First forum in New Hampshire was exactly what they need. A political combination of speed dating and Tinder.

 

Give the edge to Atkins for tossing in Tinder. But nice to see the crosstown rivals think alike on something, eh?


Boston Globe Gives Beverly Scott a T Pass

July 31, 2015

Former MBTA chief Beverly (Not My First Rodeo) Scott has been nominated by President Obama for a spot on the National Transportation Safety Board, which should make every U.S. traveler feel a little less safe today. Scott fled Boston several months ago after the T’s winter meltdown caused the system to grid to a halt.

Big local news, eh? Well, not in the Boston Globe, which has nothing in today’s print edition but did post a web piece this morning.

Ex-MBTA chief Scott nominated for NTSB spot

greenhouse_11MBTAScott-4_metro[1]-8929

Former MBTA chief Beverly Scott could soon join the National Transportation Safety Board, a position that would give her oversight of plane crash investigations and accident prevention in the sprawling US transportation system.

President Obama announced his intent this week to nominate Scott for the five-member panel. Such appointments require Senate confirmation and carry five-year terms. The NTSB’s safety purview also includes pipelines and marine travel.

 

As for Scott’s time at the T, here’s how the stately local broadsheet characterized it:

Scott resigned from the MBTA in February amid a frustrating winter for the agency. Trains were canceled and delayed repeatedly amid a rash of breakdowns and mechanical failures that accompanied a series of extreme snowstorms.

As Scott left, she complained of chronic underfunding of the agency, which she said had made it difficult to maintain the system.

 

That’s it? After all local riders went through?

Yeesh.

Not surprisingly, the Boston Herald more than made up for the Globe’s reticence, giving Scott the expensive two-page spread (with bonus Inexplicable Little Green Number).

 

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 12.58.58 PM

 

The frosty local tabloid also tossed in an editorial for good measure.

Bev back in the picture

We were prepared to forget all about Beverly Scott and her unfortunate tenure as general manager of the MBTA, but President Obama’s decision to give her a soft landing has changed that.

After a long career in transportation management Scott may well have the qualifications on paper to serve as a member of the National Transportation Safety Board. But she brings with her to the $155,500-a-year post a trainload of baggage.

 

Now that’s the Massachusetts Bev Transportation Authority we know and don’t love.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,353 other followers