What If They Held an Iran-Deal Protest and No News Media Came?

August 31, 2015

As you splendid readers know, the headscratching staff has been asking for the past several days, Who Ran This Anti-Iran Ad in Friday’s Boston Herald?


Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 1.53.56 PM


We contacted WRKO radio host Jeff Kuhner, State Rep. Shaunna O’Connell, and Charles Jacobs’s Americans for Peace and Tolerance to find out, but none of them got back to us.

So we moseyed down to the State House yesterday around noon to investigate the Potemkinish Ad Hoc Committee Against Funding of Iranian Terror.

Almost immediately we encountered Rep. O’Connell, who told us she didn’t know who had paid for the Herald ad, and in fact hadn’t even seen it.

Luckily, we then ran into publishing bunny Russel Pergament (umpteen media startups – and counting), who told us that Charles Jacobs had paid for the ad “with contributions.”

Okay then. Now we know.

Meanwhile, Jeff Kuhner finally showed up 20 minutes late and, before leading the crowd in a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance, noted that when 50 #BlackLivesMatter protestors rallied recently in Boston, “all the media elites showed up.”

His point was, no media – elite or otherwise (except for the hardreading staff) – showed up at yesterday’s protest.

[Editor’s Note: This post is being typed ’round midnight on Sunday, so we’ll check this morning for any news reports.]

But – at least from Kuhner’s Twitter feed – the protest didn’t exactly ignite a firestorm on social media.

Here’s the entirety of @TheKuhnerReport yesterday:


Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 12.04.42 AM


We’re thinking @Britskii might be a fly, because we estimated maybe 150 people there.

Regardless . . .

Coincidentally, this ad ran in yesterday’s New York Times:


Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 11.58.14 PM


Just wondering: If 150 guys from the Warrior Legacy Foundation held a rally at the State House, think the media elites might cover that?

Thought so.

UPDATE: The Herald did send a photog after all. Snappy local tabloid page 20:


Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 9.52.55 AM


Hell, it’s the least the Herald could do after raking in the big bucks for last week’s ad, yeah?

Anti-Iran Group Dodges Two Daily Town Investigation!

August 29, 2015

Well, that might be a bit overstated. Not to get technical about it.

But still . . .

Yesterday the hardreading staff noted this full-page ad in the Boston Herald.


Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 1.53.56 PM


We, of course, were curious about the players in this anti-Iran-deal groundswell, so we emailed Jeff Kuhner, placed a call to Rep. O’Connell, and reached out to Charles Jacob on APT’s Facebook page.

What did we get back?


(To be fair graf goes here.)

To be fair, it was Friday afternoon before the penultimate summer weekend, but hey – everyone’s wired 24/7, right?

Anyway, two addenda:

1) APT is the Boston-based pro-Israel, anti-Muslim Americans for Peace & Tolerance. (We’ve undoubtedly pissed off both sides with that description.)

2) Plug “Ad Hoc Committee Against U.S. Funding of Iranian Terror” into the Googletron and this pops up:


Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 11.54.14 PM


Yes! We’re Number One, We’re Top of the Pops!

Official Campaign Outsider Musical Interlude



Gotta love The Kinks.

Who Ran the Iran Ad in Today’s Boston Herald?

August 28, 2015

From our Local Dailies’ DisADvantage desk

As the hardreading staff has previously noted, it’s a rare day that the Boston Herald gets a full-page ad the Boston Globe hasn’t. But today’s one of ’em.

Firsty local tabloid, page 3:


Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 1.53.56 PM


Interesting, yes?

But try to get any information on this ‘Ad Hoc Committee Against U.S. Funding of Iranian Terror’ outfit, and you get bubkes.

From the Googletron:


Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 1.55.47 PM


So we’re now trying to contact Jeff Kuhner or Shaunna O’Connell or Charles Jacobs to find out who paid for this ad and presumably is organizing Sunday’s rally. We might even try Alan Dershowitz.

As always, we’ll keep you posted.

Boston Herald AWOL on Gardner Heist Anniversary

March 19, 2015

Unless the hardreading staff’s memory fails us, the Boston Herald (especially Tom Mashberg) did yeoman’s work in the wake of the Great Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Robbery in 1990.

And unless our eyes fail us, the fartsy local tabloid has published exactly nothing about the 25th anniversary of The Big Snatch.

Plug Boston Herald Gardner Museum into the Googletron and you get one lame Associated Press piece.

Boston museum marks 25 years since infamous art theft

Art Heist Mystery

BOSTON — It’s been called the biggest art heist in U.S. history, perhaps the biggest in the world. But 25 years later, the theft of 13 works from Boston’s Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum remains unsolved.

The theft has spawned books, rumors and speculation about who was responsible — and multiple dead ends.

Yet authorities and museum officials remain hopeful, noting that stolen art almost always gets returned — it just sometimes takes a generation or so.

“Although a quarter-century has passed since the art was stolen, we have always been determined to recover it and we remain optimistic that we will,” said Anne Hawley, the Gardner’s director, who was in charge at the time of the theft.


Good for them. Meanwhile, the Boston Globe has been on the Gardner anniversary like Brown on Williamson.

Representative samples:


Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.34.52 AM


Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.35.27 AM


Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.35.50 AM


Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 12.36.07 AM


Not to mention Bill McKeen’s review of Stephen Kurkjian’s Master Thieves: The Boston Gangsters Who Pulled Off the World’s Greatest Art Heist last weekend.

But . . . nothing in the Herald.

Paging Tom Mashberg. Paging Mr. Tom Mashberg.

P.S. Don’t bother linking – Mashberg’s pieces are all archived. Translation: Give the Herald $3.95 a pop.

That’s just wrong.

Hey! Boston Herald *Was* Above All with Birdman Ad

February 25, 2015

Half a century ago the New York Daily News had a regular feature called $5 for Your Most Embarrassing Moment. And about 90% of the entries included this phrase:

“Was my face red!”

Well, call us the hardredding staff.

The other day, we posted this in the wake of the Academy Awards broadcast:


Well the hardreading staff was leafing through the Boston Herald this morning, as is our wont, when we turned page 5 to discover this:


Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 12.03.06 PM


Double take:


Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 12.03.20 PM


Wait – is that really an ad? And if so, why does it appear in the feisty local tabloid but not the Boston Globe? Or the New York Times? Or anywhere else, at least according to the Googletron.

It’s just kind of weird, isn’t it? Then again, maybe the Herald is Above All other papers.



Actually, not so weird, as it turns out.

From yesterday’s New York Times:


Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 1.26.40 AM


So the flighty local tabloid was, if not Above All, at least Before All.


Today’s Ad-vantage in Boston Dailies: Birdman Herald

February 23, 2015

Well the hardreading staff was leafing through the Boston Herald this morning, as is our wont, when we turned page 5 to discover this:


Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 12.03.06 PM


Double take:


Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 12.03.20 PM


Wait – is that really an ad? And if so, why does it appear in the feisty local tabloid but not the Boston Globe? Or the New York Times? Or anywhere else, at least according to the Googletron.

It’s just kind of weird, isn’t it? Then again, maybe the Herald is Above All other papers.


Boston Globe ‘Biden’ Its Time on Touchy-Feelygate?

February 18, 2015

From our One Town, Two Different Worlds desk

The Boston dailies continue to reside in parallel universes. Page One of today’s Boston Herald:


Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.14.52 PM


Hillary Chabot’s column provides the details of the Washington Maul.

Hey Joe: Try being a little less hands-on going forward

Perhaps Joe Biden is already breaking out the charm offensive he’s honed for the 2016 presidential trail and he’s code named it: Joe Biden,  Stephanie CarterLady Killer.

The notoriously inappropriate vice president breached one woman’s personal boundaries yesterday as he swore in Defense Secretary Ashton Carter in the Roosevelt Room.

The gaffe-prone VP put his hands on Carter’s wife’s shoulders from behind for a long time, leaned over and whispered something into her ear, creating an Internet sensation that rippled far throughout the presidential primary battlefield.


Plug “Joe Biden” into the Googletron and you get a taste of said Internet sensation.


Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.25.20 PM


And that’s not even counting all the tweets that hit the fan.

Crosstown, meanwhile, the Boston Globe has nothing in today’s print edition and just this AP piece up on the web.

New defense secretary vows to protect troops’ safety, dignity


WASHINGTON (AP) — Ash Carter, sworn in Tuesday as President Barack Obama’s fourth secretary of defense, pledged to offer his most candid strategic advice and carefully consider decisions about sending troops into harm’s way.

Vice President Joe Biden issued the oath of office from the White House, on a Bible held by Carter’s wife, while most of the federal government was closed because of snow. Biden said Carter faces ‘‘many tough missions,’’ ranging from battling Islamic State militants and strengthening the NATO alliance, to technological advancements and budget cuts.

‘‘This is the guy that fits the job,’’ Biden said, calling Carter a ‘‘profoundly capable manager.’’


Just not capable of protecting his wife’s dignity, eh?


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,367 other followers