Boston Herald: Boston.com Credibility Went Southie in St. Pat’s Coverage

March 18, 2015

No question: Boston.com has had its troubles lately.

And here comes more. From Boston Herald scribe Jessica Heslam’s column in today’s edition of the failly local tabloid:

Boston.com lowers the bar

Another kerfuffle after Southie 
post: ‘Every day is a drunk day’

PL6Q0523.JPG

One day after a new editor took charge to impose standards at the Boston Globe’s beleaguered Boston.com, the website is drawing fire again — this time for posting a story that stated, “Every day is a drunk day in Southie.”

Headlined “True Life: I Was a Bartender In Southie During the St. Paddy’s Day Parade,” the post was written by Boston.com wire staff writer Jamie Loftus, who wrote about her experience at a South Boston restaurant during Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day parade.

“Every day is a drunk day in Southie, but St. Paddy’s Day runs by a completely separate set of laws,” wrote Loftus, whose website bio says she is also a “standup and sketch performer.” “Sure, the tips are good, but servers earn every cent when it comes to dealing with the drunk masses first thing in the morning.”

 

Money quote: “I’m surprised such bigoted views are still tolerated at Boston.com,” said U.S. Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-South Boston).

There’s also a tsk-tsk from former Boston mayor/current Herald contributor Ray Flynn, but it’s not worth repeating.

What is worth repeating: Boston.com needs some serious adult supervision.

Either that, or the Boston Globe should tear the sheets with Buston.com.


Herald Still Fired Up About Boston.com

January 16, 2015

As you would expect, the tsky local tabloid is on the Boston.com rumpus like Brown on Williamson.

From Jessica Heslam:

New Boston.com editor needs cred

Boston Globe’s beleaguered online sister site, Boston.com, is reeling from its latest viral blunder, and it’s high time the rudderless ship finds an experienced captain.

Boston.com yesterday fired Victor Paul Alvarez, an associate editor who posted a story making fun of death threats against House Speaker John Boehner and accusing the Ohio Republican of being a heavy drinker with a “pickled liver” who could survive being poisoned.

Globe CEO Mike Sheehan wouldn’t comment on Alvarez’s ouster but said no other Boston.com staffers were disciplined over the site’s latest mishap.

“It’s onward and upward,” Sheehan said.

 

As opposed to the last month’s downward, yeah?

Heslam also reports, “A contrite Alvarez took to Twitter to address his firing — and critics. ‘The story I wrote was awful. Tasteless. Mean. Bosses felt it was inexcusable. They fired me,’ Alvarez wrote in a tweet. ‘I did not pine for murder. I made a tasteless joke that I clearly regret. Before I was fired and now.'”

And then there’s this:

 

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 12.16.41 PM

 

Crosstown at the Boston Globe, there’s only this:

 

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 12.19.20 PM

 

Explanation? Boston.com GM Corey Gottlieb told Heslam, “We do not comment on individual personnel matters. Any decisions made are far less about one employee than they are about the collective Boston.com team and maintaining and strengthening the standards and values they share.”

But haven’t up to this point, eh?


Empathy Gap in Boston Dailies’ Colleen Ritzer Coverage?

January 11, 2015

From our Late to the Party of the First Part desk

The savage 2013 murder of Danvers High School teacher Colleen Ritzer has finally wended its way into court, and yesterday’s local dailies presented very different pictures of the initial legal proceedings and their effects on Colleen’s mother, Peggie Ritzer.

Jessica Heslam’s column in the Boston Herald:

Voice connects moms in teacher tragedy

Peggie Ritzer’s face creased with anguish as the recorded voice of another mother on the other side of the 010915chism008courtroom — the mom of the teenager charged with raping and killing Ritzer’s beloved daughter Colleen — brought her to tears . . .

Diana Chism was at the Danvers police station. Her son Philip had been found, the cops told her, but he was under arrest and they believed he had hurt somebody — a teacher.

“Oh my God, please don’t tell me somebody’s dead. Oh my God, I’m going to pass out,” Diana said on the dramatic recording, played in Salem Superior Court yesterday at a hearing to determine whether the teen’s statements to police will be tossed out.

Peggie Ritzer shed many tears yesterday, often cupping her face in her hands . . .

 

From the Boston Globe piece:

Ritzer’s parents, Peggie and Tom, were also there. When details of her daughter’s death emerged, Peggie Ritzer sometimes wept or hunched over and hung her head low.

 

Not judging. Just noting.


Wahlberg Finally a Marked Man in Boston Herald

December 9, 2014

The feisty local tabloid has been something of a Wahlflower in the past week’s Marky Mark rumpus, but today’s edition jumps into the pool with this column from Jessica Heslam.

Clean slate requires coming clean

Wahlberg’s records still sealed

Mark Wahlberg, Marky Mark

Mark Wahlberg wants the commonwealth of Massachusetts to wipe his violent, racially fueled criminal record clean — but the state won’t let you see what’s in his court files.

The Dorchester thug turned Hollywood star’s criminal and civil files in Boston courthouses have been sealed shut as the former rapper known as Marky Mark seeks a pardon.

It’s not surprising. His crimes are disturbing.

 

To detail just how disturbing those crimes were, Heslam draws on court papers posted on The Smoking Gun website in 1997. But we’re not like to see any more, Heslam reports.

The Probation Department couldn’t say when or why Wahlberg’s cases were sealed, citing privacy laws. The Parole Board said his criminal records are protected by the state’s Criminal Offender Record Information law.

 

Crosstown at the Boston Globe, those zany Namesniks add yet another wrinkle to the Ballad of Marked Mark.

 

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 1.24.53 PM

 

Huh. Life imitates art, eh? Or at least melodrama.


Charlie Baker: Sweetheart of the Herald’s Rodeo

September 24, 2014

This is mother’s milk to the feisty local tabloid.

‘Sweetheart’? C’mon, Charlie

Gaffe could haunt Baker

{object}

Charlie Baker just can’t get it right when it comes to women.

The GOP gubernatorial candidate is desperately seeking female votes, but his latest gaffe — calling FOX 25 political ace Sharman Sacchetti a “sweetheart” — is sure to land him in the doghouse with some women voters.

 

Woof woof.

The Jessica Heslam piece in today’s Boston Herald, not surprisingly, contains the obligatory apology from Baker, whose campaign seems to be choreographed by Joe Cocker.

“I apologize to Sharman, as she is an accomplished professional and someone who I have come to both respect and consider a friend,” Baker said in a statement.

 

There are also the usual statements from the usual suspects in the umbrage-industrial complex.

Just for the record, here’s the incriminating video (see 1:03).

 

 

Crosstown at the Boston Globe, not a peep.

 

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 12.29.04 PM

 

C’mon, cupcakes – get on the stick, eh?


Hark! The Herald! (Ray Rice Edition)

September 10, 2014

From our Walt Whitman desk

Those fine folks at the feisty local tabloid have done it again!

 

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 4.35.16 PM

 

 

That’s right – the Herald has nabbed yet another coveted Top Ten Front Pages nod from the Newseum. (No link to yesterday’s – they’re not archived as far as the hardreading staff can tell.)

This is the fifth or sixth time the paper has trumpeted one of these impressive victories, which leads us ask: If the Boston Herald garners a Top Ten but does not tout it the next day, did the award actually happen?

We’re thinking not.

 


The Yin & Yang of the Globe & Herald

July 18, 2014

From our One Town, Two Different Worlds desk (in cooperation with our Late to the Party desk)

Yesterday’s Boston dailies provided a textbook compare ‘n’ contrast case study on several fronts.

Start with the Boston Herald’s front page:

 

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 12.39.27 AM

 

What followed was Jessica Heslam’s page 2 column about sports radio moron Kirk Minihane’s gutless bitching about FOX Sports fox Erin Andrews’ lame All Star Game interview of groovy St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright:

Vulgar put-down of Erin Andrews won’t score points for WEEI

Super Bowl Football

Boston sports radio station WEEI — which has been trounced by rival “98.5 The Sports Hub” and is taking a ratings beating because of the cellar-dwelling Red Sox — found itself in hot water yesterday after one of its jock talkers made vulgar on-air comments about a female sportscaster.

“Dennis & Callahan” sidekick Kirk Minihane ended up apologizing for his demeaning remarks about Fox Sports reporter Erin Andrews, but not before the whole brouhaha had some wondering whether it was all a desperate bid to boost ratings.

 

Groovy. But here’s how the Boston Globe reported it, Metro page 1:

Martha Coakley rips WEEI host for Erin Andrews rant

Stomping onto the dangerous turf of talk radio, gubernatorial candidate Martha Coakley called out a WEEI radio host for an on-air tirade in which he lambasted FOX Sports reporter Erin Andrews, cursing about her and telling her to “drop dead.”

b7e8a90fbff64d66b9be7bd63c803427-b7e8a90fbff64d66b9be7bd63c803427-0The rant on the “Dennis & Callahan Show” Wednesday morning prompted Coakley to contact a reporter covering the story to weigh in and later prompted an apology from the radio personality.

“Everybody understands fair criticism,” Coakley told Boston.com. “But when it becomes personal, when it’s demeaning, and when it goes over the line as this did, that language is inexcusable, and it’s offensive. I just felt it was important for me to weigh in.”

 

Yeah, that’s really “dangerous turf” – taking a bold stance against sexist buffoonery. The Bay State needs more Profiles in Courage like that.

Meanwhile, here’s what the stately local broadsheet featured on its front page:

 

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.28.00 AM

 

That stands in stark contrast to the frosty local tabloid’s take:

Gov urged to just say no

Bay State lawmen and lawmakers are urging Gov. Deval Patrick to reject President Obama’s request to shelter some of the thousands of children who have been surging across the nation’s southern border illegally, while immigration advocates are calling the crisis a Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.35.37 AMhumanitarian issue requiring immediate action.

“As long as there are signals being sent out that people can come here illegally and we’re just going to take care of them, then they’re just going to keep on coming,” Bristol County Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson said yesterday from the Texas border on a fact-finding tour. “Neither the president nor the governor have come down to the border to see what’s happening — had they taken the time to come down, they would understand why sending people to Massachusetts is not the answer.”

 

(Can we just interject here that Tom Hodgson is the biggest media slut this side of Kim Kardashian? Thank you.)

That’s not even to deal with the hiss & hiss treatment of the BRA in yesterday’s local dailies. (Roll your own.)

It’s swell to live in a two-daily town, yeah?


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,341 other followers