April 6, 2015
From our One Town, Two Different Worlds desk
The long-awaited Columbia Journalism School report on the clueless Rolling Stone campus rape investigation (now retracted) gets – wait for it – very different play in today’s local dailies.
Start with Page One of the Boston Herald.
Inside, the story gets the bulk of Page 2:
Crosstown at the Boston Globe, the report gets a New York Times wire service piece on A5.
Your conclusions go here.
December 12, 2014
As the hardreading staff has previously noted, the local dailies have differed on whether Mark Wahlberg’s racist-fueled 1988 assault on two local Vietnamese men resulted in his blinding one of them in one eye.
The Boston Herald said Wahlberg “reportedly left one of the victims blind in one eye,” while the Boston Globe has never mentioned that particular fact.
Enter the Daily Mail (via the Daily Beast) as the tiebreaker:
For the past 26 years Hollywood superstar Mark Wahlberg has believed he left a Vietnamese man blind in one eye after brutally assaulting him during his wayward teenage years.
He spent 45 days in jail for the attack but has now made a plea for the crime to be pardoned having turned his life around to become one of the most famous actors in the world.
His victim has never spoken about the vicious assault in 1988 but has broken a more than two decade long silence to reveal that the actor did not actually cause him any serious harm – and that until he was told by MailOnline, he had no idea his assailant had become a famous actor.
In his first ever interview since the attack Johnny Trinh revealed to Mail Online he was already blind in one eye after being injured while fighting the Communists in the Vietnam War.
So, to recap:
Mark Wahlberg racially assaulted two Vietnamese men in 1988 but blinded neither of them in either eye.
As for the press coverage, cue Wishbone Ash:
Just for the helluva it.