Turning a Blind Eye to Murky Mark’s Racist Past

December 12, 2014

As the hardreading staff has previously noted, the local dailies have differed on whether Mark Wahlberg’s racist-fueled 1988 assault on two local Vietnamese men resulted in his blinding one of them in one eye.

The Boston Herald said Wahlberg “reportedly left one of the victims blind in one eye,” while the Boston Globe has never mentioned that particular fact.

Enter the Daily Mail (via the Daily Beast) as the tiebreaker:

For the past 26 years Hollywood superstar Mark Wahlberg has believed he left a Vietnamese man blind in one eye after brutally assaulting him during his wayward teenage years.

He spent 45 days in jail for the attack but has now made a plea for the crime to be pardoned having turned his life around to become one of the most famous actors in the world.23EDBF0B00000578-0-image-a-1_1418220588256

His victim has never spoken about the vicious assault in 1988 but has broken a more than two decade long silence to reveal that the actor did not actually cause him any serious harm – and that until he was told by MailOnline, he had no idea his assailant had become a famous actor.

In his first ever interview since the attack Johnny Trinh revealed to Mail Online he was already blind in one eye after being injured while fighting the Communists in the Vietnam War.

 

So, to recap:

Mark Wahlberg racially assaulted two Vietnamese men in 1988 but blinded neither of them in either eye.

As for the press coverage, cue Wishbone Ash:

 

 

Just for the helluva it.


Boston Globe Goes Over the Wahlberg

December 6, 2014

It started with a report on NECN on Thursday, which both local dailies picked up for Friday’s editions.

Boston Globe Names:

 

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 4.17.33 PM

 

Boston Herald Inside Track:

Wahlberg asks for clean slate

Dorchester-born Holly-wood heartthrob Mark Wahlberg is asking the state to wipe his record clean of a 26-year-old assault rap Mark Wahlberg, Marky Markand other convictions, arguing that by “formally” forgiving his dark past, it could inspire troubled youths to turn their lives around.

The 43-year-old actor/producer/restaurateur served 45 days of a three-month sentence for an April 1988 crime he says he has spoken “openly and publicly about” during his rise to stardom.

With the request, filed Nov. 26, he’s asking the state to expunge it from his record, in part, so he could become “more active in law enforcement activities.”

 

Note: The Globe does not include the “reportedly left one of the victims blind in one eye” that the Herald does; the Herald does not include the racial slurs and the NECN credit that the Globe does.

Regardless, only one of them follows up on the story today.

 

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 4.31.57 PM

 

The report by Maria Cramer and Nestor Ramos starts with the 1988 racial incident, but also includes this:

In a separate episode, some from a class that was harassed in 1986 by a group of teens that included Wahlberg were not impressed with his request for a pardon.

Mary Belmonte, the class teacher, remembered leading her terrified elementary school students down a side street to avoid the hail of rocks. “I’m sure he’s sincere and he wants to clear his name,” Belmonte said. “It would be nice if he could apologize and really own up to what he was.’’

 

Huh.

Curiously, today’s Globe piece also says nothing about Lam losing his sight in one eye.

Double huh.

But the Globe website does include an archive of its coverage of the allegations from 1988-2000. Well worth a look.