Herald Has Latest ‘Suffolk U’ to School’s President

March 31, 2016

As the hardreading staff has duly noted, Boston Herald communist Joe Battenfeld has been on Suffolk University’s slow-motion defenestration of President Margaret McKenna like Brown on Williamson.

Exhibit Umpteen: Battenfeld’s piece today on the newest salvo in the McKenna rumpus.

New Suffolk offensive

In a new escalation of the nasty war over control of Suffolk University, the school’s trustees are launching an independent probe into allegations of misspending by Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 3.24.43 PMPresident Margaret McKenna after she balked at cooperating with an internal investigation, sources told the Herald.

The trustees’ decision to investigate came after another attorney engaged by the board concluded the school had to “thoroughly investigate” charges of fiscal impropriety against McKenna brought by public relations maven George Regan after she terminated his longtime contract with Suffolk.

 

Yeah – those lessons in Regan-omics will get you every time. Turns out in this case, McKenna is collateral damage in the PR poobah’s gold rush.

[Board of Trustees Chair Andrew] Meyer told trustees last week that the school’s executive committee sought an outside opinion from a New York attorney, Monica Barrett, on how to respond to Regan’s charges and his demand for compensation for being fired.

Barrett’s advice to conduct a serious investigation prompted trustees to approach McKenna, sources said, but she didn’t immediately give them access to her expense records. But sources close to McKenna strongly deny she’s refusing to cooperate.

 

Crosstown, the Boston Globe had nothing on the story in today’s print edition, but reporter Joshua Miller picked up on it in his Political Happy Hour blog post this afternoon:

UNENDING SUFFOLK U BOARD DRAMA, by Joe Battenfeld on page 3 of today’s Boston Herald: “In a new escalation of the nasty war over control of Suffolk University, the school’s trustees are launching an independent probe into allegations of misspending by President Margaret McKenna after she balked at cooperating with an internal investigation, sources told the Herald. …” http://bit.ly/21UJqyL

 

Hey – a credit and a link?

They must be pretty happy at the firsty local tabloid, eh?


Bulger Auction Gets Different Bids from Local Dailies

March 31, 2016

From our Late to the Party of the First Part desk

James “Whitey” Bulger has always been two different people in the Boston dailies. See: Mike (Jimmy didn’t allow heroin in South Boston) Barnicle for details.

But that was then. And this is now, when it’s all over but the routing of Bulger’s assets to his victims.

From Wednesday’s Boston Globe:

Bulger assets added to victim fund

Stanley Cup ring, cash, benefits seized

James “Whitey” Bulger’s Social Security benefits, his replica Stanley Cup ring, and $50,000 he stashed in a London safe deposit box have been added to a growing pile of assets that were seized from the gangster and will be divided among the families of his victims, according to court filings.

Federal prosecutors urged a judge Monday to issue an order paving the way for an auction by the US Marshals Service of dozens of items seized from Bulger’s Santa Monica, Calif., apartment following his capture in June 2011.

 

It’s a very different picture in Wednesday’s Boston Herald:

Bulger victim: Auction will give me ‘peanuts’

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 12.44.47 AM

The widow of Revere nightclub owner Richard Castucci — who rubbed elbows with Frank Sinatra’s Rat Pack until James “Whitey” Bulger ordered him shot in the head 40 years ago — will reap “peanuts” from a class-action settlement with the feds and little more from an auction of the mob kingpin’s worldly possessions, her lawyer claims.

“Mrs. Castucci just wanted to get this chapter in her life closed,” Sandra Castucci’s lawyer Michael Laurano said yesterday after the Herald reported U.S. Attorney Carmen M. 
Ortiz had petitioned a federal judge to order the sale of “any and all other personal property” the FBI seized from Bulger’s Santa Monica, Calif., hideout in 2011. The lots are to include a replica ring from the 1986 Stanley Cup championship, art, furniture, electronics, clothing, books and coins, but not dozens of firearms, a grenade, a stun gun, eight knives and ammunition fated to be destroyed.

 

Back at the Boston Globe, another widow was more . . . measured.

Patricia Donahue, whose husband, Michael, was shot to death by Bulger in 1982, said she was pleased that the government was continuing to track Bulger’s assets and surprised to hear that the notorious gangster was eligible for Social Security.

“I never knew the man worked,” Donahue said. “Nothing surprises me when it comes to ‘Whitey’ Bulger.”

 

Or when it comes to Whitey Bulger coverage, eh?


Herald Scribe Cohen Goes CNNuclear on Cruz Spox

March 26, 2016

The Boston Herald’s normally ignorable columnist Adriana (Trumpless GOP Can Kiss Me Goodbye) Cohen, who is almost as big a Trump Chump as her work husband Howie Carr, caused quite a rumpus on CNN yesterday when she went Chernobyl on Ted Cruziac Amanda Carpenter over his alleged extramarital affairs – including with Carpenter.

Via Mediaite:

Trumpkin Accuses Ex-Cruz Aide of Affair on CNN

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 11.47.59 PM

A leading member of the Trump fan club derailed a CNN segment Friday afternoon by accusing former Ted Cruz spokeswoman Amanda Carpenter of having an affair with the Texan senator. Asked by CNN anchor Kate Bolduan whether she thinks Trump is “ready to move on” from sexualized attacks on Cruz’s wife, Boston Herald columnist Adriana Cohen responded: “Oh, absolutely I think we should move on. Where we should move to is The National Enquirer story that was reported that Ted Cruz has had affairs with five mistresses, including you’ve been named as well, Amanda.” An incensed Bolduan shot back: “I don’t think that’s ‘moving on’ at all.” Unfazed, Cohen repeated the allegation, and then pointedly asked Carpenter: “Will you denounce this story or will you confirm it?” Carpenter called the allegations “smut” and said they were “categorically false.”

 

First of all, Trumpkin?

Excellent!

Second of all, let’s go to the videotape.

 

 

Yow.

In today’s Herald, Cohen says . . . nothing.

But we have high hopes for tomorrow.


Skunk Already at the Prouty Garden?

March 21, 2016

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 11.48.53 PM

 

When we last left the tug-of-war over demolition of the Prouty Garden at Boston Children’s Hospital three weeks ago, it was pretty much in limbo.

There was a hearing before representatives of the Massachusetts Public Health Council, which has final authority over the project to replace the garden with a billion-dollar expansion.

And Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey had “declined a request by opponents to block Boston Children’s Hospital from building an 11-story addition where the beloved Prouty Garden currently sits,” according to a Boston Globe report.

And then . . . nothing.

Except this, yesterday, from splendid reader SFR:

The skunk at the party is the chainsaws that have ALREADY started taking down trees and bushes in the Prouty Garden, before the new building is even approved; this shows beyond a shadow of a doubt there is a very strong and real desire to destroy Prouty, whether a building goes up or not. The “Friends of Prouty” failed to anticipate this, and did not get a restraining order against the hospital to prevent this destruction. Even if the new building is denied by DPH, by the time the decision is made, what’s left of Prouty will be dirt and saw dust.

 

This is the way the Prouty Garden ends? Not with a bang but a whimper?


BostonGlobe.com Search Engine a Total Trainwreck

March 19, 2016

Interesting Page One compare ‘n’ contrast in today’s Boston dailies: The Globe front-pages a story the Herald doesn’t have at all, and vice versa.

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 5.53.16 PM

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 5.54.55 PM

 

Initially, we went to the papers’ respective search engines to double-check our first impression. Plug “Owen Labrie” into the Herald search box and you get this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 6.06.04 PM

It’s a bit of a jumble – the most recent story is listed fourth. But it’s the Library of Congress compared to what pops up in the Globe when you plug virtually anything into its search box. The Framingham rape from the Herald front page gets no hits, but plug in, say, “David Ortiz” and you get this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 6.17.00 PM

Click on that first link and you get a hockey story at the bottom of which is this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 6.14.36 PM

So, to recap: One search, two clicks, still no David Ortiz.

Try it for yourself. It’s crazy-making.

And entirely crazy: a non-searchable newspaper website.


Human Rights Group to Boston: Qatar It Out!

March 17, 2016

Yesterday Qatar Airways launched nonstop flights between Logan International Airport and Doha, the capital of Qatar. So yesterday a human rights group launched an ad campaign in the Boston Globe calling for a boycott of the airline.

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 1.27.07 AM

 

The Alliance for Workers Against Repression Everywhere, or AWARE, began running local radio spots last week “denouncing alleged human rights violations against workers by the airline and the State of Qatar, which owns it,” according to a Globe report.

The group’s press release is here. Ditto #boycottqatar.

Qatar Airways, meanwhile, seems blissfully unAWARE of the boycott.

Just another fly-by protest, eh?


Boston Globe Keeps ‘Spotlight’ Off Its Own Reporters

March 16, 2016

As the hardreading staff has previously noted, Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn – among others – vociferously protested the portrayal of him in the movie Spotlight. As Boston Globe columnist Kevin Cullen wrote last November:

After seeing the film at the Loews theater across from Boston Common, [Dunn] stepped onto the sidewalk and threw up.

The movie sickened him because he is portrayed as someone who minimized the suffering of those who were sexually abused, as someone who tried to steer Globe reporters away from the story, as someone invested in the coverup.

 

Dunn’s lawyer subsequently “sent a letter to the filmmakers, demanding that the offending scene be deleted from the movie.”

Well, that hasn’t happened, but this has, as Mark Shanahan reports in today’s Globe:

B.C. dialogue fiction, ‘Spotlight’ studio says

Open Road Films, the studio that distributed the Oscar-winning film “Spotlight,” issued a statement Tuesday acknowledging that dialogue attributed in the movie to Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn was fictional.

When “Spotlight” was released last fall, Dunn expressed outrage, saying that he was depicted as someone who downplayed the suffering of people who were sexually abused by priests. He enlisted a lawyer to contact Open Road and demand the removal of a scene in the movie in which his character discusses whether previous administrators at Boston College High School were aware of sexual abuse there.

 

At issue was a scene depicting Dunn in a 2002 meeting with Globe reporters Walter “Robby” Robinson and Sacha Pfeiffer (played by Michael Keaton and Rachel McAdams). The topic: Allegations of sexual abuse at BC High. The offending dialogue from the character playing Dunn: “It’s a big school, Robby, you know that. And we’re talking about seven alleged victims over, what, eight years?”

The Globe piece includes this statement from Open Road Films:

“As is the case with most movies based on historical events, ‘Spotlight’ contains fictionalized dialogue that was attributed to Mr. Dunn for dramatic effect. We acknowledge that Mr. Dunn was not part of the Archdiocesan coverup. It is clear from his efforts on behalf of the victims at BC High that he and the filmmakers share a deep, mutual concern for victims of abuse.”

What the Globe piece does not include is Robinson’s and Pfeiffer’s previous backing of the movie version (tip o’ the pixel to splendid reader Ember2378 for the link). But the Boston Herald’s Jack Encarnacao helpfully fills in the details.

The [studio’s] statement comes after both the Globe’s Walter Robinson and Sacha Pfeiffer said the scene in the movie captured Dunn’s “spirited public relations defense of BC High” during their first Spotlight team interview with him in 2002 during the paper’s probe of clergy sexual abuse.

 

Robinson and Pfeiffer did not respond to the Herald’s calls seeking comment. We’ll see if anyone else has better luck.