Herald Sox It to Globe

June 29, 2013

It’s no secret that Red Sox owner John Henry is one on the bidders lining up to buy the Boston Globe. Here’s how the Globe itself addressed Henry’s bid yesterday:

At least six groups submit bids to buy The Boston Globe

At least six groups are believed to have submitted bids to buy The Boston Globe, according to several people involved in or briefed on the offers.

The bidders, whose offers were due Thursday at 5 p.m., include several of the names previously reported to have been exploring bids, as well as Red Sox owner John Henry and his Fenway Sports Group . . .

Henry made his bid along with his New England Sports Network co-owner, Delaware North Cos. Delaware is owned by Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs.

The New York Times Co., which is selling the Globe, previously owned a stake in the Red Sox.

 

Leave it to the Boston Herald, however, to expose the dark underbelly of the potential deal.

4_0John Henry’s Globe bid raises fears

Sports coverage could be affected

Sports-savvy readers could be crying foul if Red Sox owner John Henry’s bid to team up with the owner of the Bruins to buy the Globe wins out, fearing the beleaguered broadsheet would shy away from hard-hitting coverage, according to media experts.

“If he owns the paper, he can give good coverage to the team,” said Edward Atorino, a media analyst with The Benchmark Company. “I know what I would do if it were my paper. I’d certainly want a bias to the positive of covering my team — come on.”

 

A bias to the positive of covering my team? Smooth analysis.

Of course, it’s a perfectly reasonable concern that the Herald raises, given hard times in the news industry and Henry’s past prickliness. It’ll be fun to see how far the feisty local tabloid can stretch it.

Like taffy, we’re betting.


Running in Different Social Circles

September 17, 2012

The local gossip gangs went their separate ways over the weekend, as their columns revealed today.

The Boston Herald Track Gals (and Megan!) motored west:

Taylor Swift’s romantic western Mass. weekend

Taylor Swift made the journey out to western Massachusetts this weekend to visit her high school honey, Deerfield Academy junior Conor Kennedy, but there were no football games or school dances on the couple’s agenda. In fact, their weekend agenda was more like a middle-aged couple’s than a pair of young lovers …

The duo kicked it off with a low-key dinner at the appropriately named Taylor’s Tavern in Greenfield, where Swift, looking lovely in a green dress, ordered a salad, and even let Conor grab a few bites. He sported the typical prep-school “uniform” of shorts and a button-down shirt, and ordered a burger.

But don’t worry that 22-year-old Taylor is a negative influence on Conor, who’s got to wait a few years before he can legally hit the bars. Staff told the Track that the couple’s beverages of choice were all non-alcoholic.

Okay . . . that’s plenty of that.

Meanwhile, back in the civilized world, the Boston Globe Namesniks went the society route:

John Henry and Linda Pizzuti Henry host a big night for MGH

Red Sox owner John Henry and his wife, Linda Pizzuti Henry (who is pregnant), opened their Brookline home on Saturday night to a crowd of more than 400 Massachusetts General Hospital supporters who have contributed to its $1.5 billion charity campaign. The dinner party included a quick performance by Brandeis-educated Broadway actress Mary Faber (inset), who recently starred opposite Nick Jonas in “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” Guests included New England Patriots President Jonathan Kraft and his wife, PattiJack and Eileen Connors, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner . . . 

And a bunch of other usual suspects.

For some inexplicable reason, the hardreading staff never got its invitation. Maybe next time.