Milan Lucic Slashes Boston Herald!

July 10, 2015

From our Local Dailies DisADvantage desk

Departing Boston Bruins bruiser Milan Lucic sent a farewell note to Hub hockey fans in today’s Boston Globe.

 

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 1.17.40 PM

 

The Bruins traded Lucic to the Los Angeles Kings last month for backup goaltender Martin Jones, defensive prospect Colin Miller, and the 13th pick in the 2015 draft. According to this piece by Sebastian Noren of Today’s Slapshot, the Kings have big plans for Lucic.

From all the talk that we’ve heard and read since the trade took place, Lucic will join Anze Kopitar and Marian Gaborik on the top line for the Kings. Having a wrecking ball like Lucic (that also has a knack for scoring goals) next to a playmaker of Kopitar’s caliber and a sniper like Gaborik could be a recipe for success.

 

In his Globe ad, Lucic thanked multiple people for his success here.

 

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 1.17.17 PM

 

But apparently the people of Boston don’t include the Herald’s readers. No ad for the thirsty local tabloid. Again.

It’s tough playing the game shorthanded this much, yeah?


Boston Globe Slowbituary: Doug Mohns Finally Gets His Due!

February 21, 2014

For weeks now the hardreading staff has been imploring the Boston Globe to memorialize former Boston Bruins stalwart Doug Mohns, who died earlier this month.

And – at last – the stately local broadsheet has.

From Thursday’s edition:

Doug Mohns, 80; was Bruins All-Star

Sixty years after his rookie season as a 19-year-old with the Boston Bruins, Doug Mohns made a sentimental journey to the team’s annual fund-raising golf tournament last September.

Although weakened by cancer, Mr. Mohns, who played half of his 22 seasons in the National Hockey League in Boston, walked Mohns013into the dining room on his own at the International Golf Club in Bolton.

There he shared memories with Milt Schmidt, the Bruins coach in the late 1950s when Mr. Mohns played in two Stanley Cup finals, and he told everyone how special it had been to wear a Bruins uniform.

“He did everything in his power to get there,” said his son, Doug Jr. of Hanover, who accompanied Mr. Mohns. “Looking back, it was also his way of saying goodbye on his own terms.”

Mr. Mohns, a seven-time NHL All-Star and the first Bruins defenseman to score 20 goals in a season, died of myelodysplastic syndrome Feb. 7 in the Sawtelle Family Hospice House in Reading. He was 80 and lived in Bedford.

 

And finally got his long-overdue recognition from the Boston Globe.

 


Why Does Jim Fregosi Get a Boston Globe Obit Before Doug Mohns?

February 16, 2014

From our Free the Doug Mohns One! desk

Saturday’s Boston Globe featured this obituary (via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution).

Jim Fregosi, 71, All-Star shortstop and gregarious manager

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Atlanta Braves special assistant Jim Fregosi, a former All-Star shortstop and manager known for his gregarious personality and baseball acumen, died early Friday in a Miami hospital after suffering multiple strokes e15b6f14ff004e52896c10bb4b8ad60f-e15b6f14ff004e52896c10bb4b8ad60f-0four days earlier . . .

After an 18-year playing career that included six All-Star seasons with the Angels, Mr. Fregosi managed parts of 15 seasons in the majors and had a 1,028-1,094 record with the Angels, White Sox, Phillies, and Blue Jays. He guided the Phillies to a 97-65 record and 1993 World Series berth after rallying from a 2-1 deficit to beat the Braves in three straight in the National League Championship Series.

 

Fregosi’s Boston connection?

He received multiple college football scholarship offers but opted to sign with the Red Sox for a $20,000 bonus.

 

Period. Never played for the Sox (although he did affect the 1967 Impossible Dream team in an indirect yet significant way according to ESPN’s Gordon Edes.)

Regardless, how does Fregosi deserve an obit before Boston Bruins stalwart Doug Mohns, whose passing has been resolutely ignored by the Globe (as the hard reading staff has previously noted).

Hey, Globeniks: Do the right thing, yeah?

Give Doug Mohns a proper sendoff.

UPDATE: To his credit, Globe sportswriter Fluto Shinzawa wrote this in today’s  Sunday Hockey Notes column:

Remembering former Bruin Mohns

Doug Mohns last pulled on a Black and Gold jersey in 1964. Half a century later, fans recalled the former Bruin with fondness upon his death Feb. 7. Mohns appeared in 1,390 career games for Boston, Chicago, Minnesota, Atlanta, and Washington. Mohns, who played both up front and on defense, scored 248 goals and 462 assists. In Boston, Mohns had his best season in 1959-60, scoring 20 goals and 25 assists for coach Milt Schmidt. In Chicago, Mohns played on a line with Stan Mikita. Mohns might be best remembered as being an early adopter of the slap shot.

 

Nice, but still not a proper obit.

 


Doug Mohns Nothing to the Boston Globe

February 14, 2014

Splendid reader Bob Gardner sent this comment to Two-Daily Town yesterday in response to our post Lauren Bacall Killed by Boston Herald.

On the other hand, I haven’t been able to find any mention in the Globe today of the death of Doug Mohns. Mohns was one the great Bruins from the 1950′s and “60′s. Mohns was considered to be one of the best Bruin players at that time and (if I remember right) was one of the few players of that era who wore a helmet.
Mohn’s death was reported in the NY Times today but my search of Boston.com turned up nothing. That’s especially ironic, since not only did he play in Boston, but (according to the Times) was a resident of Bedford Mass at the time of his death.

 

New York Times obituary:

Doug Mohns, N.H.L. Player for 22 Seasons, Dies at 80

Doug Mohns, a durable and versatile skater who lasted 22 seasons in the National Hockey League, playing in seven All-Star Games, MOHNS-obit-web-master180died on Friday in Reading, Mass. He was 80.

The cause was myelodysplastic syndrome, a blood and bone marrow disorder, said his wife, Tabor Ansin Mohns.

For most of his career, which extended from 1953 to 1975, Mohns was a stalwart of the old, compact N.H.L. — when there were only six franchises, rivalries were especially intense, no one wore a helmet, and players were intimately acquainted with the strengths and weaknesses of players on every other club.

He played 11 seasons for the Boston Bruins . . .

 

As Gardner says, the Globe has essentially ignored the passing of Doug Mohns. Plug his name into the Globe’s search box and you get this (as of midnight Thursday):

 

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 11.31.15 PM

 

The Boston Herald hasn’t done much better. There’s only this mention that was tagged onto the February 9th Bruins Notebook (no link because the Herald is the Bermuda Triangle of search engines).

 

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 11.29.04 PM

 

Rest in peace, Doug Mohns.

Just not in the Boston dailies.

 


Herald Gets Its Ads Kicked . . . Again

July 18, 2013

Do we detect a pattern emerging here?

For the third time in three weeks, Boston Herald readers have been snubbed by a full-page ad aimed at the local citizenry.

(First it was the Marriott at Tudor Wharf memorializing fallen Boston firefighter Stephen F. Minehan; then it was the Chicago Blackhawk saluting the Boston Bruins.)

Now it’s the Employees & Management of Demoulas/Market Basket, who ran this ad in Wednesday’s Boston Globe:

 

Picture 1

 

Notice the ad did not mention Arthur S. Demoulas, the “other” member of the Board of Directors and the motivating force behind the power play, as the Globe noted here:

Market Basket CEO faces revolt led by his cousin

 

arthurs

At a typical corporation, the chief executive is expected to be beholden to the board of directors. But Market Basket grocery titan Arthur T. Demoulas asserted otherwise one day when some board members challenged his authority to spend money as he saw fit.

 

“There’s only one boss in the company,” Demoulas told directors in August 2012, according to a transcript of the board meeting. “There’s not two. There’s not three. There’s not five. There’s only one boss.”

For more than two decades, Market Basket has been anything but typical.

Even for the most contentious boardrooms, Demoulas’s statement underscores the strong-willed personalities in his extended family, which built the Market Basket chain into a regional powerhouse despite spending much of their time fighting one another. The latest battle again pits Arthur T. Demoulas against his cousin, Arthur S. Demoulas, who is moving to oust the former after finally gaining control of the board this year.

 

Excellent dustup, and well worthy of a newspaper ad war (the hardreading staff is hoping for an Arthur T. rebuttal in Thursday’s Globe.)

But apparently not in the Herald, which the Employees & Management of Demoulas/Market Basket deemed unworthy as an advertising platform.

Perhaps they don’t value the readers of the feisty local tabloid.

Or maybe it’s because of backhanded coverage like this in Saturday’s Herald:

 

Picture 2

 

You tell us.


Herald Still Ain’t Seguin What Tyler Tweeted

July 9, 2013

As the hardreading staff noted yesterday, the Boston Herald has been uncharacteristically shy about quoting former Boston Bruin Tyler Seguin’s latest homophobic Twitter puck-up.

Yesterday’s print edition of the feisty local tabloid didn’t even mention the incident, while this AP story on the Herald website remained entirely vague:

Stars’ Seguin: Twitter slur came from ‘hackers’

DALLAS — Recently acquired Dallas Stars forward Tyler Seguin says an anti-gay comment that showed up on his Twitter account came from “hackers.”

The Stars said in a statement Sunday that they had “addressed the issue directly” with Seguin. The tweet showed up on his account Saturday and was quickly removed.

 

From the AP story as well.

Today’s Herald piece is only slightly more forthcoming:

29SEGUINTyler Seguin’s Twitter mess not a ringing endorsement

Ex-Bruin Tyler Seguin’s controversial homophobic tweet could cost him lucrative endorsement deals as he struggles to establish himself in a new market, and is just the latest example of the perils of social media for athletes, social media and sports marketing experts said.

Seguin’s tweet, referencing a profanity-laced “Full Metal Jacket” quote about Texas, drew immediate backlash despite the fact it was deleted almost instantly, but screenshots and retweets remain all over the Internet. The reaction prompted the new Dallas Star to delete his Twitter account, blaming “hackers.”

 

Hey, Heraldniks: Why so dainty all of a sudden?

Just for the record, here’s what Seguin actually said (via yesterday’s Boston Globe):

For a player who never liked to take a lot of hits on the ice, Seguin is sure absorbing them off it. The latest one came Saturday night when a tweet from his Twitter account said, “Only steers and queers in Texas, and I’m not a cow.”

 

This guy really needs to grow up.


Globe, Not Herald, Seguin What Tyler Tweeted

July 8, 2013

Last time now-former Boston Bruin Tyler Seguin got all homophobic on his Twitter feed, the Boston Herald beat the Globe on the story. This time it’s the other way around.

From Christopher Gasper’s column today:

Bruins gave up on Tyler Seguin too soon

seguin-big-7565

If Tyler Seguin is as good at shutting down his Twitter account as he was at getting shut out on the scoresheet in the playoffs then his days of 140-character missives are — like his days donning the Spoked-B — done.

Both the Bruins and Twitter being Seguin-free seem like good ideas right now, quick fixes to aggravating problems. But they might prove rash overreactions in the end. Professional athletes have to learn how to deal with the consequences of celebrity in the social media age and patience has to be shown with a potential franchise player whose talent level far exceeds his maturity level.

The Bruins gave up on Seguin too soon, trading him July 4 to the Dallas Stars and confining him to the dustbin of failed face-of-the-franchise forwards along with Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel after just three seasons . . .

 

And then, this: “For a player who never liked to take a lot of hits on the ice, Seguin is sure absorbing them off it. The latest one came Saturday night when a tweet from his Twitter account said, ‘Only steers and queers in Texas, and I’m not a cow.'”

The Stars, of course, immediately shifted into damage control while Seguin claimed his Twitter feed was hacked. Either way, he’s gone social-media silent.

As was today’s Herald on the topic. Stephen Harris looks at Seguin’s exit, but without the tweet heat.

Suffice to say, teams don’t quit on 21-year-old No. 2 overall draft choices with the brilliant skills of Seguin unless they have very good reasons. The team deserves some blame for not doing a better job of supervising Seguin. In times past, teenagers like Stephane Quintal, Joe Thornton and Patrice Bergeron were placed with area families who offered them the same sort of stability and control they used with their own children.

It sure sounds like the Seguin-Bruins story could have had a happier ending if that had been done with this kid when he first came to Boston at age 18. But it was not. So you get the reports of underage partying, the online photos of dancing on the bar, the fast cars, the messy apartment, etc., and you get a ticket on the next plane to Dallas.

 

The feisty local tabloid does have an AP story on its website now, but that only counts in horseshoes.

 


Herald Sox It to Globe

June 29, 2013

It’s no secret that Red Sox owner John Henry is one on the bidders lining up to buy the Boston Globe. Here’s how the Globe itself addressed Henry’s bid yesterday:

At least six groups submit bids to buy The Boston Globe

At least six groups are believed to have submitted bids to buy The Boston Globe, according to several people involved in or briefed on the offers.

The bidders, whose offers were due Thursday at 5 p.m., include several of the names previously reported to have been exploring bids, as well as Red Sox owner John Henry and his Fenway Sports Group . . .

Henry made his bid along with his New England Sports Network co-owner, Delaware North Cos. Delaware is owned by Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs.

The New York Times Co., which is selling the Globe, previously owned a stake in the Red Sox.

 

Leave it to the Boston Herald, however, to expose the dark underbelly of the potential deal.

4_0John Henry’s Globe bid raises fears

Sports coverage could be affected

Sports-savvy readers could be crying foul if Red Sox owner John Henry’s bid to team up with the owner of the Bruins to buy the Globe wins out, fearing the beleaguered broadsheet would shy away from hard-hitting coverage, according to media experts.

“If he owns the paper, he can give good coverage to the team,” said Edward Atorino, a media analyst with The Benchmark Company. “I know what I would do if it were my paper. I’d certainly want a bias to the positive of covering my team — come on.”

 

A bias to the positive of covering my team? Smooth analysis.

Of course, it’s a perfectly reasonable concern that the Herald raises, given hard times in the news industry and Henry’s past prickliness. It’ll be fun to see how far the feisty local tabloid can stretch it.

Like taffy, we’re betting.


Herald Once Again DisADvantaged

June 28, 2013

Why do advertisers keep snubbing Boston Herald readers?

Today this open letter to the Boston Bruins and the City of Boston appeared in the Boston Globe.

 

Picture 9

 

Here’s the text of the letter, which is signed by Rocky Wirtz, Chairman of the Wirtz Corporation and Owner of the Chicago Blackhawks, and Blackhawks President & CEO John McDonough:

Hockey is a tough game. As impressed as we were by the strength, talent, and competitive spirit of the Boston Bruins on the ice, we were deeply touched by what happened off the ice. Rarely have we experienced the hospitality you afforded us throughout the playoff series between two incredibly gifted teams.

On behalf of the Chicago Blackhawks organization and the entire Wirtz Corporation, we want to personally express our heartfelt appreciation to your city, the Bruins organization, and especially the citizens of Boston for the remarkable welcome you showed our team and the many Chicagoans who visited.

From Boston’s political leadership to every member of the Bruins organization; from the players to the people on the streets, you demonstrated respect, good sportsmanship, and a genuine love for the great game of hockey.

Like the rest of the world, Chicagoans have been reminded in recent days of Boston’s strength. Please know we tip our hat to your city’s big heart and gracious spirit. You lead by example and have set the bar very high for others to follow.

 

So – all those hockey fans/readers of the feisty local tabloid got the same message, eh?

Nope. The message they got was, well, nuthin’. You get nuthin’.

This is the second time this week Herald readers got that message. As the hardreading staff noted, this memorial ad for Lt. Stephen F. Minehan, the Boston firefighter who died in a Charlestown warehouse blaze 19 years ago – this ad ran twice in Monday’s Globe, and no times in the Herald.

 

Picture 13

 

We asked the folks at Pyramid Hotel Group, which owns that Marriott at Tudor Wharf, why it ran twice in the Globe but not in the Herald. No one addressed the latter part, but regarding the double play in the Globe one executive said, “It wasn’t intentional.” So the Globe made a mistake? “We’ll have to wait and see when the bill comes in. But I don’t think it was on purpose.”

An advertising executive at the Globe failed to answer our calls. We’re not holding our breath.


Hark! The Herald! (Lame Subscription III)

June 23, 2013

The Boston Herald is still desperate to build on its current base of 17 home subscribers, so today it once again ran this recruitment ad:

 

Picture 1

 

Always Relevant, eh? So why did the hardreading staff get a sports page this morning that didn’t have the results of last night’s Stanley Cup Finals game?

The newsstand buyers of the Herald got the story. The electronic edition readers got the story. Home subscribers, though, got the shaft.

On top of that, the heisty local tabloid rubs our face in it with that ad.

Not right. Not right at all.