Boston Globe Redacts Redactions in Wynn Lawsuit

March 15, 2019

From our One Town, Two Different Worlds desk

The Boston Globe is shooting blanks on the Steve Wynn/Massachusetts Gaming Commission rumpus, which involves a lawsuit over documents that the disgraced casino mogul says are covered by attorney-client privilege.

Here’s how the stately local broadsheet handled the story in today’s edition.

It’s not until the 13th graf that the piece even mentions this fact: “The meeting minutes included substantial redactions, something [commission chairwoman Cathy] Judd-Stein said was necessary because the sessions included ‘a significant amount of attorney-client privileged communications.’”

No longer crosstown at the Boston Herald, Page One says it all.

 

 

Inside, the story gets the deluxe double-truck treatment.

 

 

Hey, Globeniks, you taking notes?

(To be fair graf goes here)

To be fair, the web version of the Globe piece does have a visual component.

(To be clear graf goes here)

To be clear, though, it’s a photo of the almost-finished Encore casino, not any of the redacted documents.

Score one for the snappy local tabloid.


What If They Held an Iran-Deal Protest and No News Media Came?

August 31, 2015

As you splendid readers know, the headscratching staff has been asking for the past several days, Who Ran This Anti-Iran Ad in Friday’s Boston Herald?

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 1.53.56 PM

 

We contacted WRKO radio host Jeff Kuhner, State Rep. Shaunna O’Connell, and Charles Jacobs’s Americans for Peace and Tolerance to find out, but none of them got back to us.

So we moseyed down to the State House yesterday around noon to investigate the Potemkinish Ad Hoc Committee Against Funding of Iranian Terror.

Almost immediately we encountered Rep. O’Connell, who told us she didn’t know who had paid for the Herald ad, and in fact hadn’t even seen it.

Luckily, we then ran into publishing bunny Russel Pergament (umpteen media startups – and counting), who told us that Charles Jacobs had paid for the ad “with contributions.”

Okay then. Now we know.

Meanwhile, Jeff Kuhner finally showed up 20 minutes late and, before leading the crowd in a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance, noted that when 50 #BlackLivesMatter protestors rallied recently in Boston, “all the media elites showed up.”

His point was, no media – elite or otherwise (except for the hardreading staff) – showed up at yesterday’s protest.

[Editor’s Note: This post is being typed ’round midnight on Sunday, so we’ll check this morning for any news reports.]

But – at least from Kuhner’s Twitter feed – the protest didn’t exactly ignite a firestorm on social media.

Here’s the entirety of @TheKuhnerReport yesterday:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 12.04.42 AM

 

We’re thinking @Britskii might be a fly, because we estimated maybe 150 people there.

Regardless . . .

Coincidentally, this ad ran in yesterday’s New York Times:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 11.58.14 PM

 

Just wondering: If 150 guys from the Warrior Legacy Foundation held a rally at the State House, think the media elites might cover that?

Thought so.

UPDATE: The Herald did send a photog after all. Snappy local tabloid page 20:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 9.52.55 AM

 

Hell, it’s the least the Herald could do after raking in the big bucks for last week’s ad, yeah?