Everybody has the Twinkie strikeout on the front page today.
The New York Times:
The Wall Street Journal:
The Boston Globe:
The Boston Herald?
Unh-unh.
Tel Aviv over Twinkies?
Good for the Herald.
Friday’s New York Times featured what might be the first chime in the death knell of newly minted New York Times Company CEO Mark Thompson.
Letter Raises Questions About When BBC Ex-Chief Learned of Abuse Cases
A legal letter sent on behalf of Mark Thompson, the former director general of the BBC, raises questions about his assertions that he learned of accusations of sexual abuse against its longtime host Jimmy Savile only after leaving the corporation’s top job.
In the letter, sent 10 days before Mr. Thompson left the BBC in September, lawyers representing him and another executive threatened to sue The Sunday Times in London over contentions in an article it was preparing that they had been involved in killing a BBC investigation of Mr. Savile.
Interviews show that the letter included a summary of the alleged abuse, including the allegation that some abuse might have occurred at the BBC.
Translation: Thompson at the very least misremembered when he became aware of the Jimmy Savile row.
At worst, this is just the first shoe to drop. At best . . . well, there is no best.
Meanwhile, the Times kissin’ cousin Boston Globe has yet to even grab a shoehorn.
The Globe’s most extensive reference to the Thompson kerfuffle ran in this October 26 pickup from the Times wire service:
The scandal has drawn in several top figures at the BBC, including its current director general, George Entwistle, who took over in September from Mark Thompson, the incoming president and chief executive of The New York Times Co.
Thompson was director general of the BBC when the editor of a current affairs program canceled an investigation into Savile in late 2011, just as other divisions of the BBC were planning Christmastime tributes to him a few months after his death at age 84.
Thompson has said repeatedly that he knew nothing about the investigation by the ‘‘Newsnight’’ program while it was under way, had no role in canceling it and also had heard none of the suspicions about Savile.
On Thursday, Thompson won an enthusiastic endorsement from Arthur Sulzberger Jr., the chairman of The New York Times Co. and the publisher of The Times.
Since then, a whole lot of nothing.
The hardreading staff sort of feels Globeniks are entitled to something more.
Looks like the New York Times is rippin’ off its kissin’ cousin, the Boston Globe.
Or maybe it’s the other way around.
Monday’s Globe piece about Green Mountain College being oxymarooned:
Lou the ox is quietly euthanized at Vt. college
Injured animal put down, buried in early morning; second ox’s fate undertermined
The veterinarian came before dawn, and Lou the ox was quietly euthanized.
The decision by the small liberal arts college in Vermont in early October to slaughter its beloved pair of oxen and serve their meat in the campus dining hall had sparked worldwide outrage.
The euthanasia of Lou, who was suffering from an injury, was performed on the campus farm by a large-animal veterinarian between midnight and daybreak Sunday, according to Philip Ackerman-Leist, director of the farm and food project at Green Mountain College, in Poultney, near the border with New York State.
“It was hard for him to get around,” Ackerman-Leist said, adding that with winter approaching things would only get worse. “We wouldn’t want to see him suffer anymore.”
The other ox, Bill, remains at Green Mountain’s Cerridwen Farm, according to the Globe report. “Ackerman-Leist said he was not sure whether Bill would go back to work ‘as a single ox or not.'”
He also said Lou was buried at an undisclosed location off campus.
Tuesday’s Times piece about the same:
A Casualty Amid Battle to Save College Oxen
A working ox named Lou, who in recent weeks became arguably his species’ most prominent representative, died on Sunday in pastoral Vermont, euthanized after his impending slaughter stirred a face-off between sustainable farmers in the state and animal rights advocates from around the world.
For Green Mountain College, where Lou tilled the fields with his teammate, a second ox named Bill, this was never the plan. After about 10 years at the college, Lou sustained an injury to his right rear hock over the summer. The college decided to slaughter both animals and serve them in the dining hall, viewing the action as an execution of the college’s sustainable-farming mission . . .
But, of course, that didn’t work out. Then again, this did:
Bill will remain at Green Mountain College, which said in its statement that he will “receive care consistent with appropriate livestock practices.”
Note the link above: The Times reported on this oxycontention two weeks ago.
So . . . whose ox is being gored here?
You tell us.
UPDATE: As you can see in Sweet Jane’s comment below, the Globe had the original story several days before the Times did. The hardwincing staff thanks her, apologizes to the Globe.
The Boston Herald has been on the BBC/Jimmy Savile scandal like Brown on Williamson, and today’s edition extends the drumbeat.
Despite gaffe, Times’ Sulzberger gives Thompson vote of confidence
New York Times Co. Chairman Arthur Sulzberger Jr., who has been acting as interim CEO, offered a vote of confidence for embattled incoming CEO Mark Thompson today, but also made a gaffe on the company’s earnings call that linked him to the late BBC alleged sex predator Jimmy Savile.
“We’re delighted to welcome Mark Thompson,” said Sulzberger, reiterating the former BBC director general’s Nov. 12 start date at the Times.
Then, Sulzberger referred to the alleged pedophile and longtime BBC TV host as “Mark Savile” before correcting himself.
Sulzberger also sent a letter yesterday to Times staffers (who are embroiled in a contract dispute with Times management) that said this in part (via Romenesko.com):
At the New England Media Group, BostonGlobe.com recently marked its one-year anniversary and continues to make steady progress in growing paid digital subscriptions. The team has implemented a variety of initiatives to increase reader interest and engagement, and to strengthen subscription opportunities. And the August launch of Boston.com’s new live streaming radio station, RadioBDC, is just the latest of the site’s ongoing efforts to broaden its reach in the market.
I want to address a topic that has been on many people’s minds. You no doubt have read the recent reports of a controversy regarding the BBC’s decision in late 2011 to cancel a news story investigating allegations of sexual abuse and molestation by an on-air BBC talent, Jimmy Savile, who died last year. Mark has provided a detailed account of that matter, and I am satisfied that he played no role in the cancellation of the segment.
Meanwhile, the Times’ kissin’ cousin Boston Globe has played no role in examining its connection to the Mark Thompson rumpus.
Here’s what the hardsearching staff found on the Globe website around 1 am:
Try fewer keywords?
Try more coverage, Globeniks.
The Transatlantic rumpus over alleged sexual abuse of children by the late BBC television host Jimmy Savile gets double coverage in the New York Times today. First up, this John Burns report on the latest developments in a scandal that’s turning the BBC into a pretzel.
BBC Leader Admits ‘Horror’ as a Sexual Abuse Inquiry Opens
LONDON — As the first of a battery of inquiries into Britain’s burgeoning sexual abuse scandal opened in a parliamentary committee room on Tuesday, lawmakers reacted with stunned incredulity and barely disguised anger as they sought answers to the painful questions being asked in every living room, commuter train and pub in the country.
How could this have happened, over decades, without action to stop it? How could some of the country’s most respected institutions — among them the BBC, the National Health Service, police forces in London and other areas, as well as the national prosecuting authority — have failed to bring the accused principal abuser to book? How could so many vulnerable young girls and boys — more than 200, according to the police — have been exposed to such vileness, for so long,and so blatantly, without anybody stepping in to help them?
The occasion was the opening of hearings by the House of Commons committee on culture, media and sport, and the matter at hand cascading revelations in the past month that have portrayed one of Britain’s most beloved television hosts, Jimmy Savile, who died last year at 84, as an insatiable pedophile, a predator who abused teenagers in children’s homes, in hospitals for the emotionally disturbed, in BBC dressing rooms yards from stage sets where he made himself a national idol.
Also being questioned: Why did the show “BBC Newsnight” kill an investigative report into Savile’s actions?
Here’s what the Times says:
Channel 4 television reported Tuesday that it had seen an e-mail from a BBC reporter, Liz Mackean, in which she said the editor of “BBC Newsnight,” Peter Rippon, who had shelved an investigative report she was working on, had diminished the seriousness of Mr. Savile’s abuse by saying of the victims, “The girls were teenagers, not too young,” and that “they weren’t the worst kind of sexual offenses.”
Really?
The second piece in today’s Times – and this is where it gets even more interesting – examines the role of Mark Thompson, former BBC head, future New York Times Co. CEO.
Former BBC Head Says He Had No Role in Squelching Program
Mark Thompson, the former head of the British Broadcasting Corporation who has been drawn into the scandal involving allegations of sexual abuse against the former television personality Jimmy Savile, reiterated in an interview on Tuesday that he was not aware of an investigative report prepared for the BBC program “Newsnight” into Mr. Savile’s behavior until after the investigation was canceled.
Both in the interview and in a letter to Parliament, Mr. Thompson, who is also the incoming chief executive of The New York Times Company, said that he was made aware that “Newsnight” had been investigating Mr. Savile only during a conversation with a reporter at a company holiday party last December.
Thompson’s party line:”There is nothing to suggest that I acted inappropriately in the handling of this matter.” That’s about as good a defense as the Washington Generals put up against the Harlem Globetrotters.
NYT kissin’ cousin Boston Globe runs a perfunctory pickup of the Times report, with no mention of the Thompson mishegosss.
That’s left, as the hardworking staff predicted about 10 hours ago, to the Boston Herald, which features this on page 2:
Is new Times CEO fit for print?
Ex-BBC chief accused of shelving sex abuse expose
The New York Times [NYT]’ public editor is questioning whether incoming Times Co. CEO Mark Thompson “is the right person for the job,” even as a British lawmaker has accused the former BBC director general of changing his story about the spiking of a news report on sex abuse allegations surrounding the late TV personality Jimmy Savile.
“Mark Thompson has already had to correct his version of events once. He originally implied that he knew nothing about the Newsnight investigation, before admitting that a BBC journalist had told him he had reasons to worry about it,” said Rob Wilson, a member of Parliament from Reading East, who has questioned Thompson’s role and whether there was a BBC cover up regarding Savile. “Now it appears he may have known more about the subject of the Newsnight investigation than he has previously admitted.”
The pedophile sex abuse scandal involving the late BBC TV host is the talk of Britain and the timing couldn’t be much worse for the Times, which tapped Thompson in August before the scandal erupted.
Of course, the public editor’s piling on doesn’t help either, especially with the headline “Times Must Aggressively Cover Mark Thompson’s Role in BBC’s Troubles.”
Ditto for the Globe, dontcha think?
The Boston Herald jumped the shark yet again with yesterday’s Page One (via the Newseum’s Today’s Front Pages):
That thoroughly irresponsible headline was followed up by a slightly more responsible piece inside:
Backlash as GE legend slams jobless numbers
The typically sedate ritual of monthly jobs reporting has ignited a political fire storm, with shocked economists calling the huge job gains a “fiscal anomaly” and former Hub business titan Jack Welch sparking a Twitter war with accusations President Obama’s Chicago cronies are cooking the books.
“This whole number is made of a whole mess of assumptions,” the former General Electric CEO and Hub resident told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto. “Who’s participating? Who’s not working? Who’s trying to work that’s dropped out. It just raises the question. I think there ought to be a good discussion of how this number is calculated.”
Earlier in the day, Welch tweeted: “Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can’t debate so change numbers.”
That’s total nonsense, unless you’re a card-carrying member of Tinfoil Hat Nation.
But reality’s never gotten in the way of a juicy Herald story.
(For once, the absence of a story in the Boston Globe is a good thing, although it did post this on its website.)
Meanwhile, for a more earthbound perspective, see Joe Nocera’s column in Saturday’s New York Times, and this piece on NPR’s Weekend All Things Considered.
P.S. Earth to Herald: Get a grip, eh?
As the hardreading staff noted the other day, the Boston Herald reported that “Massachusetts Republicans looking to overshadow Elizabeth Warren’s turn in the national spotlight [at the Democratic National Convention] are releasing a video with Cherokees at a nearby reservation saying her heritage claims are ‘slapping Native Americans in the face.'”
The Boston Globe, on the other hand, was silent on the issue.
Now the Globe’s kissin’ cousin, the New York Times, has weighed in:
For Warren, Bad Blood over Ethnic Claims
Karen Geronimo, a member of the Mescalero Apache tribe in town for the Democratic convention, knows what she wants from Elizabeth Warren, the Senate candidate from Massachusetts: a blood sample.
“Someone needs to make her take a DNA test,” said Ms. Geronimo, whose husband, Harlyn Geronimo, is the great-grandson of the legendary warrior Geronimo.
The still-simmering controversy over Ms. Warren’s self-proclaimed American Indian heritage has chased her from the campaign trail in Massachusetts to the convention hall, resonating with a small but vocal constituency: American Indian Democrats.
But still no mention in the local broadsheet.
Hey, Globeniks: Isn’t it good to live in a three-daily town?
Even if this is a crap issue?
From our Its Good to Live in a Two-Times Co. desk
It’s the spawn of a new day for the GOP.
Yesterday’s New York Times:
5 Young Romneys: Who’s the Cutest?
It was the question that smitten young women debated almost 50 years ago: Which Beatle was the cutest?
At the Republican convention this week, the question is: Which of Mitt Romney’s five sons sends you swooning?
Hold on – we might have an answer from their wives!
From yesterday’s Boston Globe:
Daughters-in-law pay tribute to Ann Romney
TAMPA – Laurie Romney was at the Romney household years ago when she was in the kitchen and spied a perfect-looking peach pie on the counter, complete with a carefully-constructed lattice top.
“I literally thought to myself, ‘I cannot marry into this family,’ ” she said on Wednesday morning. “Because I could never do that.”
During a tribute to the potential future first lady on Wednesday morning, all five of Ann Romney’s daughters-in-law took the microphone for brief remarks. It was a rare instance where they were in the public eye, in a week when their husbands are frequently the ones on television.
Further on, there was this:
They kidded each other over whose husband was better looking. “As my grandma always says, he’s the cutest Romney boy out of all five,” Laurie Romney said of Matt. “I disagree with Laurie,” said Jen Romney. “I think I’m married to the cutest one of all. I’m married to Josh. Yeah, Josh!”
Mary Romney, who married Craig, noted, “I am married to the baby of the family, Craig.”
“I’m married to the blond one,” said Andelyne Romney, who married Ben. “The one that stands out. That kind of resembles Ann, and I call the smart one.”
Helpful video via Buzzfeed:
The hardreading staff’s verdict: They’re all the cutest.
From our It’s Good to Live in a Two-Times Co. Town desk
New York Times August 27 edition:
These Days, It’s Back to School, Then Shopping
Samantha Paradise is starting eighth grade in Manhattan next week, but she won’t be decked out in all new gear on the first day.
At 13, Samantha doesn’t want to be stuck with untrendy items, so she will wait to see if the Superga sneakers that were cool at summer camp are still in fashion, and whether her classmates choose JanSport backpacks or revive the Longchamp and LeSportsac bags from last year. “I don’t want to be the only one wearing a different kind of backpack,” she said.
In a shift that is upending retailers’ plans, many children, teenagers and their parents are delaying their school purchases. A desire to get the trends right accounts for some of the hesitation. But retailers and analysts say the sluggish economy and unusually hot weather have also made for a surprisingly slow start to the back-to-school spending season, one that was expected to be the strongest since before the recession.
Times kissin’ cousin Boston Globe August 24th edition:
Teens hold off on back-to-school shopping
Awilda Moscat walked out of the Forever 21 on Newbury Street with nothing but a pair of pants in her yellow shopping bag. Her friend Kim Ramon left empty-handed. At the peak of what is usually a frenzied time for back-to-school clothes shopping, the high school students feel no pressure to update their wardrobes for the first day of class.
“I want to wait and see if there’s anything new coming out during the year,” said Ramon, 15, of Dorchester. “It doesn’t make sense to buy everything now.”
A number of consumer researchers say Moscat and Ramon are not the only teens forgoing the tradition of August back-to-school shopping by spreading out their apparel spending. A number of factors, including the rise of chains like H&M and Zara, so-called fast fashion retailers that sell inexpensive clothing and turn over their inventories rapidly to stay on trend, may be contributing to the phenomenon.
Trend-savvy teens have always prowled the malls year-round. But typically the bulk of their school clothes were bought in August. Now many are delaying those purchases so that when, for example, cowl neck sweaters emerge as the hot item of November, they can strike quickly.
Score one for the grasshopper.