Our Boston Globe/John Henry Watch (Landsdowne Street Air Rights Edition)

September 27, 2013

(Two-Daily Town is proud to introduces this new feature tracking the Boston Globe’s disclosure of Red Sox principal owner John Henry’s Globe purchase)

The hardreading staff is, as you may have gathered, an eternal optimist. But this piece in Thursday’s Boston Globe gives us pause.

 

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 12.54.13 AM

 

Nut graf:

Cahill said the BRA is attempting to “give away rights to a public street without reasonable public notice, without public advertisement, and without utilizing a public process.” There were no public hearings about the deal, though the board will vote during a public meeting.

Cahill also said the city should not sign a lifetime contract with the Red Sox and should seek a slice of the revenue generated by the team’s use of Yawkey and Lansdowne — a total of about $4.5 million annually, according to the team.

 

Sweet(heart), yeah?

The problem here isn’t the Globe story – reporter Callum Borchers does a perfectly reasonable job of examining both sides of the issue. The problem is, nowhere does the Globe disclose that Red Sox principal owner John Henry is the boss of them – something the Globe should absolutely overdisclose.

Crosstown, the Boston Herald is less, shall we say, nuanced.

NEL_9829.JPGCrying foul over Boston Sox deal

Watchdogs to review $7.3M pact

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino balked yesterday at intervening in a proposed $7.3 million deal between the BRA and the Red Sox for air rights over Lansdowne Street and game-day concessions on Yawkey Way as the state Inspector General’s office said it would review the deal and an independent watchdog group called it “financially irresponsible”

“Why should I?” Menino asked. “It’s a good deal. (The Boston Redevelopment Authority) got much more money than they got in the past. Think about what the Red Sox mean to the city: jobs, taxes, vitality, heads on beds.”

 

The Herald piece doesn’t mention the Globe’s opaque coverage of the story.

Not sure that will be the case for long.

 


Globe – Not Herald – Has Inside Track on Red Sox Sweetheart Deal

September 22, 2013

The John Henry Era™ at the Boston Globe has officially begun.

From Saturday’s edition of the estately local broadsheet:

 

Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 12.51.51 AM

 

It’s not until the 13th graf of that front-page piece that the Globe deigns to disclose.

Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry is currently in the process of purchasing The Boston Globe and its related properties from The New York Times Co. for $70 million.

Though Yawkey and Lansdowne are public streets, the BRA did not put the lease of those properties out to competitive bid, which would have given other businesses the opportunity to challenge the Red Sox for the rights. Indeed, earlier this year, a businessman from Everett told the BRA he was interested in securing Yawkey Way concession rights.

The BRA did not consider his offer, and officials said it would be difficult to put Yawkey and Lansdowne out for public bid because the Red Sox, as an abutting property owner, would effectively have the power to block a competitor from gaining those rights. Since the 2003 season, the Sox have had the exclusive right to sell concessions on that portion of Yawkey Way.

 

Okay, then. Business as usual in MeninoWorld.

Crosstown, Saturday’s Boston Herald, not surprisingly, was clueless.

Unfortunately, Sunday’s Herald edition isn’t any cluefull.

Boston dailies, we have a problem.

 


Finally! Herald Letter to the Editor Slams Globe Sale

August 13, 2013

The hardreading staff has been waiting patiently for Boston Herald readers to step up to the plate and weigh in on Red Sox owner John Henry’s purchase of the Boston Globe. There’s been a distressing dearth of Letters to the Editor in both local dailies – it took the Globe a full week to print a paltry three letters about the sale. Disappointing, to say the least.

Now, at last, the feisty local tabloid is on the scoreboard. From today’s edition:

 

Picture 2

 

Don’t even know where to start with that one.

So we won’t.


Boston Globe Editors – Finally! – Publish Letters About Globe Sale

August 11, 2013

As the hardreading staff has previously noted, the Boston Globe all this past week conspicuously failed to publish any letters about the sale of the stately local broadsheet to Red Sox owner John Henry.

But Saturday’s edition finally ended the Sale-itary Confinement:

Picture 4

 

Okay then.


Boston Globe Herald Hostage (Unions Due Edition)

August 9, 2013

Among its many and varied talents, the Boston Herald has an uncanny ability to find the cloud inside the silver lining. Especially when it comes to crosstown rival Boston Globe.

To wit, today:

_AN18604.JPGIt’s wait, see for Globe’s unions

Union bigs at The Boston Globe said they’ll keep an open mind about new owner John Henry even as they face the unpleasant task of immediate negotiations over new contracts.

“I think guarded optimism is the right term,” said Martin Callaghan, the president of the Boston Newspaper Printing Pressmen’s Union. “John Henry seems to be saying the right things, but ultimately it comes down to who he surrounds himself with. We don’t necessarily view him as a newspaper guy, so it’ll be interesting to see if he keeps the current management and who he brings in for day-to-day operations.”

 

Union contracts at the Globe expired seven months ago.  They won’t be addressed until Henry takes full ownership, but we’re not sure the following was a good omen:

Henry toured the Globe newsroom Monday and met with editors and reporters, but hasn’t held any meet-and-greets with either the pressmen or delivery drivers.

 

Uh-huh. You think dealing with the MLB Players Association is tough, Yacht Boy? Wait till you sit down with the Teamsters.

 


Still No Letters to the Editor About Globe Sale

August 8, 2013

This is Day Four of the Sale-itary Confinement of letters to the editor about John Henry’s purchase of the Boston Globe. As the hardreading staff noted earlier, there wasn’t a single letter in the Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday editions of the stately local broadsheet that addressed what certainly can be viewed as a controversial and significant development for Globe readers.

Now comes today’s edition. Top half of Letters column:

 

Picture 17

 

Bottom half:

 

Picture 9

 

Really, Globe editors? You mean to tell us that no one has written to you about the sale? And don’t give us any of that web eyewash. It’s the print edition that counts.

Crosstown, the Boston Herald has been uncharacteristically quiet in the letters department, with the feisty local tabloid going 0-for-this-week. Here are letters that beat out the Globe sale today:

 

Picture 16

 

Really, Herald editors? You mean to tell us that no one has written to you about the sale? And don’t give us any of that web eyewash. It’s the print edition that counts.

Geezlepete.


Why No Letters to the Editor About Boston Globe Sale?

August 8, 2013

Red Sox owner John Henry’s bargain-basement purchase of the Boston Globe has generated plenty of news coverage this week.

But, oddly, no Letters to the Editor in the stately local broadsheet.

Monday’s letters:

Picture 3

Tuesday’s letters:

Picture 2

Wednesday’s letters:

Picture 1

Even odder, there’ve been no letters in the Boston Herald.

Not on Monday. Or Tuesday. Or Wednesday.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, yeah?

Let’s see what happens today. But the hardreading staff is not optimistic.


Globe Out-Bidders Herald Regarding Protests Over Sale

August 5, 2013

For the second straight day the Boston Herald reports on a disgruntled runner-up in the New York Times Co.’s sale of the Boston Globe to Red Sox owner John Henry.

080413redsoxkm07Second Globe bidder: Fix was in

Another losing Boston Globe contender — Springfield TV station owner John J. Gormally Jr. — is crying foul and saying he also outbid John Henry, a day after a San Diego media outfit claimed The New York Times Co. brushed off its offer, even though it was higher than the Red Sox owner’s $70 million winning bid.

Gormally confirmed to the Herald that his was the highest-end $80 million offer mentioned in a July Globe story and accused the Times of wanting to create a more PR-friendly storyline around the sale, which came two decades after the Times spent $1.1 billion to acquire the broadsheet.

 

Gormally adds that he thinks the sale was rigged all along to go to Henry because “If they had sold it to anyone else, the story would have been, ‘Times loses 1 billion dollars of stockholder value.’ By selling it to John Henry the story then becomes, ‘Red Sox owner saves Globe.’”

Interesting.

Crosstown at the stately local broadsheet, they do the Herald one better.

davis_soxbacks12_spts3 groups say they topped Henry’s bid for Globe

Three of the groups that lost out in the bidding for The Boston Globe say their offers were higher than Red Sox owner John W. Henry’s winning $70 million bid — prompting them to question the New York Times Co.’s sales process.

John Gormally, a Springfield television station owner and publisher of BusinessWest magazine, said that after meeting the Times Co.’s final bid deadline on July 26, he heard nothing from the company until a week later, in the early hours of Saturday morning, when an e-mail around 3 a.m. from the investment bankers announced the sale to Henry.

“I was surprised. Our offer was considerably higher than Henry’s,” Gormally said, at the “upper range” of the $65 million to $80 million the Globe had previously reported for bids. He noted that the Times Co., as a public company, has a responsibility to shareholders to maximize value.

“All the bidders expended considerable time, energy, money, and the process was not transparent at the end to the bidders,’’ Gormally said.

 

Also disgruntled: “Robert Loring, a Massachusetts native and founder of Revolution Capital, a West Coast investment company that owns the Tampa Tribune . . . [and] John Lynch, chief executive of the U-T San Diego newspaper.”

Damn. Any more of these unhappy rejects and we’re gonna need a bigger blog.

 


Boston Globe Herald Hostage (‘More Higher Bid’ Edition)

August 4, 2013

As you’d expect, the Boston Herald is on John Henry’s purchase of its crosstown rival like Brown on Williamson. Here’s today’s double-barreled shot at the Globe (don’t ask about the little green numbers – dunno):

Picture 5

 

To get a sense of the first runner-up in the Boston Globe’s automatic markdown sale, check out the lead story:

San Diego PublisherSan Diego bidder questions Globe buy

A losing Boston Globe contender is claiming his San Diego media company outbid Red Sox owner John Henry — and would have gone even higher — a bombshell allegation that he says could delay the deal and leave the New York Times Co. open to shareholder backlash.
“We bid significantly more than Henry,” said John Lynch, the CEO of U-T San Diego, one of the Globe finalists. “At the end of the day, I’m certain our bid was higher and could have been a lot more higher if they had just asked. I’m just stunned. I thought this was a public company that had a fiduciary duty to get the most by its stockholders. … From the beginning, I don’t think they wanted to sell to us.”

 

Maybe they had grammatical objections. Or maybe it was U-T San Diego owner Douglas Manchester’s reputation for “aggressively influencing his paper’s editorial content.”

Regardless, Lynch added that “there are going to be ramifications to it because we spent a lot of money that we didn’t need to spend or are interested in spending if there wasn’t going to be a fair auction.”

Speaking of unfair, here’s Howie Carr’s contribution to the rumpus (and by unfair we don’t mean to the Globe, but to Herald readers who pay good money for this recycled slop):

2STU7713.JPGFriendly advice for new media mogul

There’s a sucker born every minute.

That’s the first thought that comes to mind about John Henry’s purchase of The Boston Globe and other assorted media dinosaurs for $70 million in cash. In other words, as someone noted yesterday, John Henry’s 164-foot yacht may well be worth more than his crumbling newspaper empire . . .

We’ll know John Henry’s gone native if he shows up on Morrissey Boulevard tomorrow wearing a bow tie.

Speaking of which, the Globe’s rumpswabs are surely in a dither this morning. So many new rear-ends to kiss, as Alexander Cockburn once said when his newspaper changed hands. Don’t worry though — they don’t call them bow-tied bumkissers for nothing.

 

What, is there some hackbot that assembles this crap? Get some new material, man.

The Globe, for its part, tries to play it straight with this front-page splash:

 

Picture 8

 

And this may be the reason the U-T San Diego more higher bid didn’t cut it with the Times Co.

henry-big-4766Adding the Globe to his Boston constellation

Red Sox owner had two advantages in his bid: a local profile and a cash offer

Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry, who early Saturday signed a deal to buy The Boston Globe from the New York Times Co., prevailed over a half-dozen rival bidders for two main reasons: He was rooted in Boston and had plenty of cash.

Henry agreed to pay $70 million for the 141-year-old Globe, its websites, and affiliated properties, the Times Co. said. The deal followed weeks of negotiations that culminated in a marathon session Friday night, with Henry and his lawyers ensconced in his suite at Fenway Park, trading calls and messages with Times Co. officials as the Arizona Diamondbacks edged out the Red Sox.

 

Regarding the other bidders, the Globe piece says this:

[Henry’s] was not the highest bid for the Globe, according to people involved in the process. But his offer was appealing to the Times Co. because it was cash, unencumbered by financing issues or a bevy of investment partners. One executive working for the Times Co. said the key was who was best able to get the financing together and close the deal relatively quickly.

 

Not surprisingly, both papers have stories about the potential conflict of interest the sale creates (Globe here, Herald here).

As the Big J journalists say, time will tell.


Globe Herald Hostage (Lowball Edition)

July 13, 2013

Once again the Boston Herald is a day late, but it’s the dollar short that’s interesting.

Yesterday’s Boston Globe featured this update on the sale of the paper:

Field of bidders for Globe reportedly narrows

Groups with local ties – Taylor family Henry, equity group – remain in contention

At least three investor groups with local ties apparently remain in contention to buy The Boston Globe and its related businesses, according to people briefed on the matter.

The narrowed field of bidders includes members of the Taylor family that formerly owned the Globe; Boston Red Sox owner John Henry; and Robert Loring, a Massachusetts native who owns the Tampa Tribune, said people briefed on the process.

The owner of the U-T San Diego newspaper is a possible fourth finalist, but the status of the bid could not be confirmed Thursday.

 

And then the money quote: “The competing bids range from $65 million to $80 million, according to the people briefed on the matter.”

Here’s how that translates into Heraldese:

Boston GlobeBids in for Globe – and they’re low

With bids reportedly at a disappointing $65 million to 
$80 million, The Boston Globe’s impending sale is shaping up as more of a real estate deal than a newspaper buy, experts said yesterday, even as one of the four purported finalists told the Herald they’ve lost interest in the broadsheet.

“The implication is kind of obvious that the Globe as a straight business venture is not very highly valued on the market right now because clearly that amount is probably — at least the majority of it, maybe more — is valued land and the building,” said Rick Edmonds, a media business analyst for the Poynter Institute.

 

Ouch. It’s true that estimates of the New York Times Co.’s local media group – the Globe, its websites boston.com and bostonglobe.com, and the Worcester Telegram & Gazette – were running between $70 million and $120 million, so the current bids aren’t good news. It just hurts twice as much coming from the Globe’s crosstown rival.

And the feisty local tabloid had even more bad news for the Globeniks: “U-T San Diego CEO John Lynch told the Herald they’re out of the running.”

And then there were three.