Lobsters on a Roll in Boston Dailies

September 5, 2017

It was a virtual crustacean collision in the local papers yesterday, as stories about oddly colored lobsters appeared in both.

Start with this piece in the Boston Globe’s Metro section.

Rare-colored lobsters keep turning up

On Wednesday, the New England Aquarium in Boston announced it had received a donation of a rare yellow lobster, a “one in 30 million” catch from the coast of Marblehead.

That same day, the Bangor Daily News reported a Maine man had caught a “one in 100 million” white lobster last week.

Those were just the latest examples of what seem to be increasing reports of good-fortuned lobstermen hauling in crustaceans with exceedingly rare hues.

 

Globe reporter Matt Rocheleau even played oddsmaker, listing a color wheel of rare lobsters.

Other uncommon colors include:

■ Blue: which is said to be a one in 2 million find;

■ Orange: one in 10 million;

■ Red: one in 10 million;

■ Calico: one in 30 million;

■ Split-colored: one in 50 million.

 

But . . .

What are the odds that a lobster of a different color would turn up in the Boston Herald (via the Associated Press) the same day?

 

 

Here’s the ghostly guy himself.

 

 

So, happy ending: One went to the Marian Manor of crustaceans, while the other returned to the briny deep.

Obviously – and mercifully – hold the drawn butter.

Advertisements

AP Corrects Michael Herr Obit; Boston Globe Doesn’t

June 26, 2016

As the hardreading staff has noted, yesterday’s Boston Globe ran this Associated Press obituary of the great Vietnam War chronicler Michael Herr.

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 5.42.12 PM

 

As we also noted, Dispatches is not a novel – it’s a splendid example of the literary non-fiction/New Journalism of the ’60s and ’70s. The AP has apparently recognized that, because here’s their obit as picked up by today’s Boston Herald.

 

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 1.41.11 PM

 

Oddest thing, though: The Herald’s online version has it both ways.

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 1.38.22 PM

 

“Non-fiction novel,” eh? That’s new.

Meanwhile, the Globe still hasn’t amended its online version of the obit.  A novel approach to corrections, eh?


Hey, Boston Globe: ‘Dispatches’ Is NOT a Novel

June 25, 2016

Michael Herr, widely regarded as the premier chronicler of the Vietnam War, died on Thursday at the age of 76.

Today’s Boston Globe includes this Associated Press obituary. Lede:

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 5.42.12 PM

 

Noooo . . . not a novel, but “the seminal work of new journalism about the Vietnam War,” as Emmett Rensin wrote in Vox. It took Herr ten years to produce Dispatches, after suffering a nervous breakdown upon his return from Vietnam and not writing anything for five years.

Rensin also noted this quote by Hunter S. Thompson: “We have all spent 10 years trying to explain what happened to our heads and our lives in the decade we finally survived . . . but Michael Herr’s Dispatches puts all the rest of us in the shade.”

The end of the AP obit notes that “[Herr’s] other books included ‘Walter Winchell,’ a 1990 novel about the powerful and irascible gossip columnist.” Actually, that is a novel, so the AP went one-for-two on the book front.

No correction attached to the Globe pickup, though. So they’re oh-for-one.


Boston Herald Skittish About Yiddish

December 23, 2015

So by now everyone has seen Donald Trump’s potty-mouthed remarks yesterday about Hillary Clinton, yes?

Actually, no – if you’re a Boston Herald reader.

The dainty local tabloid featured kids glove treatment in Kimberly Atkins’ column today.

As [sic] a campaign rally Monday night in Grand Rapids, Mich., Trump derided Clinton for her 2008 presidential primary loss to President Obama.

“She was going to beat Obama,” Trump said to the crowd. “I don’t know who’d be worse. I don’t know. How does it get worse? She was favored to win and she got (expletive). She lost. She lost.”

 

The piece described the expletive as “a vulgar Yiddish word.”

Crosstown, the Boston Globe let it fly in its Associated Press pick-up.

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump labeled Democrat Hillary Clinton ‘‘disgusting’’ for using the restroom during a commercial break at the last Democratic debate and used crude language to describe her primary loss to Barack Obama in 2008.

‘‘She was favored to win and she got schlonged, she lost,’’ he said on Monday night, using a slang word for penis.

 

Meshugge, eh?

As a special bonus, both pieces included this from Clinton: “We shouldn’t let anybody bully his way into the presidency. Because that is not who we are as Americans.’’ (Clinton is channeling Barack Obama there, whose use of that trope was smartly chronicled by the ever readable Andrew Ferguson in the Weekly Standard last year.)

Maybe it’s not who we are as Americans, but it’s certainly who Donald Trump is as a candidate.

To stick with Yiddish, a shmuck.


Boston Papers Day Late on Donald Muslim Trumpus

September 19, 2015

From our To Know Trump desk

Amazingly, both Boston dailies missed the biggest Donald Trump news du jour yesterday.

First the story, via CNN.

Trump doesn’t challenge anti-Muslim questioner at event

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 1.59.48 AM

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump came under fire Friday morning for his handling of a question at a town hall about when the U.S. can “get rid” of Muslims, for failing to take issue with that premise and an assertion that President Barack Obama is Muslim.

Trump, who has shaken off several high-profile controversies that would have ended other presidential campaigns, faced an immediate backlash from advocacy groups, and members of his own party distanced themselves from the GOP front-runner. The incident recalls Trump’s 2011 quest to challenge Obama on where he was born, which ended with Obama releasing his long-form birth certificate. It also follows a debate performance Wednesday that garnered mixed reviews for the billionaire businessman.

“We have a problem in this country. It’s called Muslims,” an unidentified man who spoke at a question-and-answer town hall event in Rochester, New Hampshire asked the mogul at a rally Thursday night. “You know our current president is one. You know he’s not even an American.”

A seemingly bewildered Trump interrupted the man, chuckling, “We need this question. This is the first question.”

 

Clueless Boston Globe piece:

 

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.04.46 AM

 

No mention of Trump’s Muslim moment.

Clueless Boston Herald piece:

Trump slams Carly Fiorina’s business track record

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.14.30 AM

ROCHESTER, N.H. — Republican front-runner Donald Trump predicted that Carly Fiorina’s track record at both Hewlett-Packard and Lucent Technologies will eventually derail her White House hopes, during a town hall meeting here last night — signaling with repeated broadsides that the surging former executive might now pose his biggest threat.

“With Carly, she did a terrible job at Lucent,” Trump said. “She did a terrible, terrible, terrible job at Hewlett-Packard. Terrible job. Stories 
have been written that are legendary. … People are 
going to have to read this. 
I just don’t see how she can get over that hurdle.

“And then everyone says she made a good speech,” Trump added of Fiorina’s performance at Wednesday night’s GOP showdown. “I don’t get it. I don’t get it. I don’t get it. But at some point, people are going to see, and I think it’s going to be a pretty big roadblock for her.”

 

He doesn’t get it? No kidding.

Then again, the Herald didn’t get it either. It also had no menton of Trump’s Muslim moment.

So . . . today – catch up?

The stately local broadsheet offers up this Associated Press piece.

 

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.12.54 AM

 

Crosstown, the feisty local tabloid at least has its own piece by Chris Cassidy.

Hillary slams Trump for 
allowing ‘hateful’ rhetoric

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.19.28 AM

PLYMOUTH, N.H. — Hillary Clinton blasted billionaire real-estate mogul Donald Trump and tried to strike a more personal tone while rallying local Democrats last night, attempting to jump-start her stalled campaign as she is set to appear at 
the state’s party convention today.

Clinton slammed Trump yesterday for failing to refute a town-hall attendee’s assertion on Thursday night that President Obama is “not even an American” and that Muslims are “a problem in this country.”

 

(To be fair graf goes here)

To be fair, the Globe does have this piece up on its website.

Day late, dolor short.


Trial and Error: Boston Globe Catches Up

August 26, 2015

As the hard reading staff noted yesterday, the Boston dailies have reached a split decision on which high-profile local trials they’re covering: The Globe has been on the Owen Labrie alleged rape trial, while the Herald has been all over the Michelle Carter alleged text-message manslaughter case.

Today, though, the Globe doubled down with Laura Crimaldi’s piece on Metro Page One:

‘It’s now or never,’ text said to friend

Teen urged to kill himself, DA alleges

3cc9c5ca9b9c4bf68490a00c7971a88b-3cc9c5ca9b9c4bf68490a00c7971a88b-0-8702

NEW BEDFORD — She professed her love for him and promised to care for his grieving family when he was gone. All he had to do, she said, was take some Benadryl and let a combustion engine poison him with carbon monoxide. A life without pain awaited in heaven, she said.

“You have to just do it. . . . Tonight is the night. It’s now or never,” said one of the text messages Michelle Carter, then 17, is alleged to have sent to Conrad Henri Roy III in the days before his 2014 suicide.

The text message, among thousands the pair was said to have exchanged before Roy, 18, was found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in his truck in Fairhaven on July 13, 2014, has become public as Bristol County prosecutors fight a defense request to have the involuntary manslaughter case against Carter thrown out.

 

Not to get technical about it, but the Herald’s Jessica Heslam had that story yesterday.

Then again, at least the lately local broadsheet did something on the trial it’s been largely ignoring.

The same cannot be said for the fusty local tabloid. The Herald is still not covering the St. Paul’s School case in New Hampshire, which is odd since you’d think the class issue – fancy prep school, entitled tradition of the senior salute, etc. – would appeal to the Heraldniks.

No? Huh.


A Trial of Two Cities

August 25, 2015

From our One Town, Two Different Worlds desk

There are currently two high-profile trials in the Boston area involving young people, but the local dailies only see one. Different ones.

The Boston Herald has gone all in on the involuntary manslaughter trial of Michelle Carter, who prosecutors say hounded New Bedford teen Conrad Roy into committing suicide last year.

Saturday’s Page One:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.32.15 AM

 

 

And page 5:

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.32.41 AM

 

Today’s Herald gives Jessica Heslam’s piece all of page 3.

‘We’re doing horrible’

Grandmother: No ‘moving on’ from tragic death

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.32.02 PM

Janice Roy stood in her Mattapoisett backyard looking out at beautiful Buzzards Bay as she 
recalled her oldest grandchild, who prosecutors say took his own life last summer under pressure from his girlfriend.

A few hours earlier yesterday, Janice had sat through a gut-wrenching hearing in New Bedford Juvenile Court, where the attorney for Michelle 
Carter — the Plainville teen charged with causing the death of her beloved grandson — argued to have the involuntary manslaughter charge against her thrown out.

In one of thousands of text message exchanges, Carter told 18-year-old Conrad Roy III that his family would “get over” his suicide and “move on.”

That couldn’t be further from the truth.

 

Crosstown, the Boston Globe has limited its coverage of the Michelle Carter trial to a B2 news brief today.

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.19.38 AM

 

On the other hand, the stately local broadsheet is all over the case of Owen Labrie, the prep-school graduate accused of raping a 15-year old girl last year. We count seven pieces on the trial in the past week, with this one on Metro Page One today.

Labrie said he had sex with girl, peers testify

N.H. prep school classmates recall night of alleged rape

CONCORD, N.H. — In often crude language, four current and former students at St. Paul’s School testified Monday that Owen Labrie told them he had sex with a 15-year-old ed789e33046541b9ba64600606788ffe-3917df13d7c9453ea550a242d1384656-0girl who accuses him of rape, undercutting claims by Labrie’s defense team that the two did not have intercourse.

Andrew Thomson, who was Labrie’s roommate at the elite Concord prep school, testified that Labrie told him on the night of the alleged attack in May 2014 that he had taken the teenager’s virginity.

“He seemed a little taken aback, but overall happy” after the encounter, said Thomson, now a student at Brown University. “He seemed to be in a good mood.”

 

Not so much anymore, though.

The feisty local tabloid, meanwhile, has had nothing about the Labrie trial in its print edition, and just this Associated Press report on the web.

The hardreading staff isn’t sure there’s some deeper meaning in the split decision by the papers; we just know – say it with us – it’s good to live in a two-daily town.