EF Education First Puts PR First in Boston Globe Ad

October 2, 2017

From our Local Dailies DisADvantage desk

Some of you splendid readers might be scratching your heads over this full-page ad in today’s Boston Globe.

 

 

EF is Education First North America, which loves the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation for millions of very good reasons.

To wit:

EF Education First Breaks Ground on Third Building in Cambridge, Creating International Education Campus Along Charles River

Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker and many Commonwealth and City of Cambridge leaders today joined EF Education First North America CEO Dr. Edward Hult to break ground on the company’s third new building in Cambridge’s North Point neighborhood, which will result in the creation of 300 new jobs, acres of new public parkland and recreational amenities, and a new permanent operations and maintenance facility for the MA Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR).

 

The press release also notes this: “In 2014, the Massachusetts State Legislature unanimously passed special legislation allowing EF to acquire a 125,000-square-foot parcel of land owned by DCR and MassDOT for $20.4 million USD, which previously housed a temporary maintenance facility for DCR. The proceeds from the land sale will fund the construction of a permanent maintenance facility for DCR on one portion of the parcel, which represents an important unmet Big Dig mitigation obligation.”

Swell.

But wait, there’s more – this item ran in the Business section of today’s Globe, a sort of gift-with-purchase.

 

 

Interesting that the press release didn’t mention the $31 million state handout, but, hey, you can’t have everything.

Crosstown at the Boston Herald, however, they pretty much can’t have anything. Education First might love the DCR, but it doesn’t care a fig for the thirsty local tabloid, presumably on the assumption that Herald readers aren’t interested in language classes and overseas education trips.

Huh.

Advertisements

What Can the Herald Do for Brown? (Devalue Patrick Edition)

October 5, 2015

Why anyone would pay the slightest bit of attention to pill-pushing has-been Scott Brown is a mystery to the hardreading staff.

Why any newspaper would put him on its front page is an even bigger one.

But then, we’re talking about the Boston Herald here.

 

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.02.05 PM

 

The flirty local tabloid has long carried a torch for the Accidental Senator, and today’s piece just fans the flame.

Brown: Patrick ‘a joke’ as VP candidate

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.08.51 PM

Former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown mocked the idea of a Deval Patrick veep run on a Joe Biden presidential ticket as a “joke” yesterday, but was quick to add he’d love to see the Democrats go with it.

“Patrick is a joke, please,” Brown told the Herald yesterday after hosting a meet-and-greet for GOP contender Carly Fiorina at his home in Rye, N.H. “I hope that he runs, that way it will be a definite loss.”

The offhanded dismissal drew rebukes from Granite State and Bay State Democrats, who insisted the two-term Massachusetts governor would bolster their party’s slate.

 

Or charge $7500 a day for running.

The only thing more ridiculous than the Herald’s news judgment is Carly Fiorina’s political judgment, which just produced this knee-slapper on the Herald website.

Fiorina would consider Charlie Baker, Scott Brown for posts

Both Gov. Charlie Baker and former Sen. Scott Brown could have positions within Republican presidential contender Carly Fiorina’s White House administration, the former Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.12.43 PMHewlett-Packard CEO told Boston Herald Radio this morning.

“Certainly Charlie Baker is someone that should be considered,” Fiorina said on “Boston Herald Drive” this morning. “I am looking for people who are not afraid to go in and actually challenge the status quo.”

Fiorina added that Brown would also be on her “long list” of potential hires. Brown and his wife, Gail Huff, hosted an event for Fiorina yesterday at his home in Rye, N.H.

 

Her “long list,” eh?

Hey, Scott ‘n’ Gail: That’s Carly’s bread-and-butter letter for your hospitality. Which is to say, just a formality. Don’t get too excited.


Hey – There Really IS a ‘Free Baker’ Shirt

August 15, 2015

The other day the hardreading staff noted the following regarding last week’s Target/Sully’s rumpus:

We’re not sure which t-shirt Target is in the process of discontinuing, but the retail chain should definitely consider dumping its Free Brady knockoff, which got Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker in ice water yesterday (via Boston Daily’s Kyle Clauss).

Baker apologized.

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 12.39.13 PM

Anyone got a Free Baker t-shirt in the works?

 

Turns out someone did. From today’s Boston Herald:

Marty chills out for ALS

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 12.33.50 PM

Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh answered the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge thrown down by the governor — and may have one-upped him in the process.

Gov. Charlie Baker doused himself with a bucket of ice water on the steps of the State House on Monday to raise awareness and money for ALS research, and as is customary, challenged others to join him, including Walsh.

The mayor happily accepted, and yesterday he took the Ice Bucket Challenge outside City Hall, wearing a “Free Baker” T-shirt — a dig at the “Free Brady” T-shirt Baker wore earlier in the week.

 

Okay then. Proves at least someone is listening.


Target Sully’s Image (III)

August 12, 2015

Here’s breaking news on the Target/Sully’s rumpus.

Target’s sleepless PR gal Erika Winkels sent the hardreading staff this update at 12:43 this morning:

Target introduced the Local Pride program to celebrate local communities, including our neighbors in Boston. We have a deep appreciation for design, including respecting the design rights of others. We are in the process of discontinuing this t-shirt and will not carry it in future installments of the program.

 

We’re not sure which t-shirt Target is in the process of discontinuing, but the retail chain should definitely consider dumping its Free Brady knockoff, which got Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker in ice water yesterday (via Boston Daily’s Kyle Clauss).

Baker apologized.

 

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 1.20.41 AM

 

Anyone got a Free Baker t-shirt in the works?

More, we’re sure, to come.

P.S. It appears Target has dumped the Free Brady t-shirt, but kept the Green Monstah ripoff.


Olympicgeddon at Boston Herald!

July 27, 2015

From our Five-Ring Monte desk

According to Joe Dwinell’s piece in Sunday’s Boston Herald, it’s all over but the pouting for the Store 2024 Olympic bid.

Bid at Breaking Point

USOC could vote tomorrow

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 12.19.39 AM

The USOC will meet tomorrow on Boston’s shaky bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, where one board member told the Herald she won’t be surprised if the 17-day, $4.6 billion plan comes up for a fateful vote.

“We need to know how (Boston) is doing and if the people of the city are interested in hosting the games,” said Anita L. DeFrantz, a member of both the United States Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee.

“We need to get a report. I need to know,” DeFrantz told the Herald yesterday, voicing doubt about support for the games in the Hub . . .

As for speculation Los Angeles is poised to step in if the USOC backs away from Boston, DeFrantz said “L.A. is perpetually ready. It can host with only two years’ notice.”

 

Yow.

Crosstown at the Boston Sunday Globe, Mark Arsenault’s story was of course more nuanced.

USOC prods Baker, Walsh to help lift Olympic bid

The US Olympic Committee is pressing Governor Charlie Baker and Mayor Martin J. Walsh to put more of their political capital behind Boston’s struggling bid for the 2024 Olympic Games, but neither politician appears ready to satisfy the USOC, according to a person close to the bid process.

With USOC members set to discuss Boston’s status at a board meeting Monday, the standoff raises new questions about the fate of a bid already in peril due to low poll numbers.

USOC members want the popular governor to endorse the bid, the person close to the process said, which could breathe new life and credibility into the city’s effort.

The board is also pressuring Walsh, an Olympic backer, to announce that he will sign the host city contract required by the International Olympic Committee, which would put city taxpayers on the hook if the Games ran short of money or suffered cost overruns, the person said.

 

Not gonna happen, according to Arsenault’s report.

More to come, obviously, today.


Gov. Baker Flags S.C. Gaffe for Globe, Not Herald

June 19, 2015

As the hardreading staff has repeatedly noted, the Boston Herald is pretty much the wallflower at the advertising dance in the local dailies. (This week too!) But today the Herald plays second fiddle on Beacon Hill as well.

Gov. Charlie Baker (R-Mulligan, Please) tried to get out in front of some ill-advised remarks on the radio yesterday by contacting the Boston Globe to take it all back.

Metro Page One:

Baker apologizes for flag remarks

Says Confederate symbol should not fly in capitols

Governor Charlie Baker apologized on Thursday for remarks he made earlier in the day defending the rights of state capitols to fly the Confederate flag, initially calling it a matter of “tradition.”03homelesspic02

Baker said in an early-afternoon radio interview that states should be entitled to decide whether to fly the Confederate flag at their capitols, laying out a brief argument for local government. But he later backtracked and said he believed the controversial symbol should be removed.

In a telephone interview on Thursday evening, Baker said he had “heard from some friends of mine.” Their message, he said: “Basically: What were you thinking?”

 

Indeed. What Baker wasn’t thinking was to call the Boston Herald after the “Thursday evening call [to Globe reporter Jim O’Sullivan] arranged hastily by aides.”

One would think the fringey local tabloid would at least have played catch-up on its website today, but one would be wrong.

So, to recap:

By all appearances Charlie Baker came to his senses about whether the Confederate flag should fly in state capitols and wanted to walk back his comments from earlier in the day. So he contacted the Globe but not the Herald. Bad news for the Heraldniks.

(We just sent an email to Jim O’ Sullivan asking him if that’s an accurate summary. We will, as always, keep you posted.)

UPDATE: Jim O’Sullivan tells us that he offered to talk to Baker if the governor wanted to revise or amend his comments, then aides set up the phone call. So, to re-recap: Just sharper reporting at the Boston Globe. That is all.


Boston Globe Late to the T Party

April 7, 2015

Well, Charlie Baker’s task force on bringing the MBTA better trolley karma has finally issued its report, and today’s local dailies – wait for it – give it very different play.

The Boston Globe sort of missed the bus in its Page One coverage.

 

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 2.29.42 PM

 

Maybe because the Boston Herald did its own review of MBTA employee absences a week ago, the Little Tabloid That Could featured this on Page One instead:

 

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 2.40.30 PM

 

Story inside:

T left $2.2b on the table

Funds earmarked for repairs were never spent

The MBTA, which has repeatedly cried for more funding, has failed to spend more than $2.2 billion earmarked over the last five years to fix its dated, problem-plagued system, according to the expert panel Gov. Charlie Baker created to examine the Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 2.59.50 PMembattled agency.

The stunning pile of unused cash accounts for roughly half of the 
$4.5 billion the T has set aside since fiscal 2010 for its so-called capital budget. The unspent funding has also helped drive the growing backlog of much-needed maintenance needs, the panel found. State officials had earlier pegged that stockpile of “state-of-good repair” projects at $6.7 billion, but that figure is now seen as “the floor and not the ceiling,” according to one panel member.

 

Very interesting.

Apparently the folks on Morrissey Blvd. felt the same, because late this morning the sleepy local broadsheet played some website catch-up.

 

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 3.09.22 PM

 

In the better-late-than-never Globe piece, there was no acknowledgement of the Herald’s scoop. Same old story, eh?